LAFC Forward Carlos Vela Named 2019 Landon Donovan MLS MVP
The Los Angeles Football Club (LAFC) and Major League Soccer announced today that forward Carlos Vela has been named the 2019 Landon Donovan MLS Most Valuable Player. Vela was presented the award during a ceremony at Banc of California Stadium in Los Angeles on Monday, November 4.
Winner of the 2019 MLS Golden Boot presented by Audi, Vela's record-breaking regular season set a new league-high of 34 goals in 31 games, with a 1.12 goals-per-game average that ranks first in MLS history among players with at least 15 goals in a single campaign. He reached the 20-goal plateau in 20 games - a rate faster than any other player, and his combined 49 goals and assists (34 goals, 15 assists) established yet another new league milestone.
During the regular season, Vela helped LAFC capture the Supporters' Shield and top seed in the Audi 2019 MLS Cup Playoffs, as the Club set a new all-time points record (72 points), posted the highest-ever goal differential (+48), and tied the single-season team scoring record (85).
Vela's postseason included two goals and an assist in a 5-3 win over the Galaxy in the Western Conference Semifinals. With 36 total goals in 2019, Vela's combined regular-season and postseason tally also set a new all-time league best.
His astounding 2019 form won him MVP honors by a landslide, earning nearly 70 percent of the total vote. The Galaxy's Zlatan Ibrahimovic was the runner-up, while 2018 Landon Donovan MLS MVP and Golden Boot winner Josef Martinez of Atlanta United finished third.
Vela also becomes the first MLS player of Mexican descent to garner the prestigious award, and has the highest career goals total by any Mexican player in MLS history.
The Landon Donovan MLS MVP award has been presented since 1996 to the individual determined by a poll of players, club technical staff and the media to be the most valuable to his club. Below is a breakdown of the voting results for 2019.
MLS MVP Player % Club % Media % Final %
Carlos Vela (LAFC) 80.33% 64.65% 63.85% 69.61%
Zlatan IbrahimoviÄ (LA) 6.89% 13.13% 22.31% 14.11%
Josef MartÃnez (ATL) 5.90% 8.08% 6.92% 6.97%
Maxi Moralez (NYC) 0.66% 8.08% 4.23% 4.32%
Héber (NYC) 0.66% 2.02% 0.38% 1.02%
All-Time MLS Most Valuable Players:
2019: Carlos Vela - Los Angeles Football Club
2018: Josef Martinez - Atlanta United
2017: Diego Valeri - Portland Timbers
2016: David Villa - New York City FC
2015: Sebastian Giovinco - Toronto FC
2014: Robbie Keane - LA Galaxy
2013: Mike Magee - Chicago Fire
2012: Chris Wondolowski - San Jose Earthquakes
2011: Dwayne De Rosario - D.C. United
2010: David Ferreira - FC Dallas
2009: Landon Donovan - LA Galaxy
2008: Guillermo Barros Schelotto - Columbus Crew
2007: Luciano Emilio - D.C. United
2006: Christian GÃ³mez - D.C. United
2005: Taylor Twellman - New England Revolution
2004: Amado Guevara - MetroStars
2003: Preki - Kansas City Wizards
2002: Carlos Ruiz - LA Galaxy
2001: Alex Pineda ChacÃ³n - Miami Fusion
2000: Tony Meola - Kansas City Wizards
1999: Jason Kreis - Dallas Burn
1998: Marco Etcheverry - D.C. United
1997: Preki - Kansas City Wizards
1996: Carlos Valderrama - Tampa Bay Mutiny
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from November 4, 2019
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: November 4, 2019 - San Jose Earthquakes
- FC Cincinnati Weekly Update - FC Cincinnati
- LAFC Forward Carlos Vela Named 2019 Landon Donovan MLS MVP - Los Angeles FC
- LAFC's Carlos Vela Named 2019 Landon Donovan MLS MVP - MLS
- James Pantemis Will Train with Bologna FC for Six Weeks - Club de Foot Montreal
- Spencer Richey earns FC Cincinnati's Save of the Year - FC Cincinnati
- Houston Dynamo Adds Omid Namazi and Pablo Mastroeni as Assistant Coaches - Houston Dynamo
- Four FC Dallas Homegrowns to Train with FC Bayern Munich - FC Dallas
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Los Angeles FC Stories
- LAFC Signs Korean International Kim Moon-Hwan
- LAFC Acquires U.S. International Forward Corey Baird from Real Salt Lake
- Bob Bradley to Receive Walt Chyzowych Fund's Lifetime Achievement Award
- LAFC Falls 2-1 to Tigres UANL in 2020 Scotiabank CONCACAF Champions League Final
- LAFC Faces Tigres UANL Tomorrow in SCCL Finals