Lackey's Strong Outing Not Enough to Cure Road Woes
GREENVILLE - The Asheville Tourists dropped their second straight game to the Greenville Drive at Fluor Field on Tuesday night. The final score was 4-1. It is evident the Tourists have played much better baseball since the All-Star break and they remain competitive night in and night out; however, one thing that has not changed, yet, is this team's ability to consistently win on the road.
Asheville is 4-9 away from home since the break. The Tourists finished the first half ten games under .500 on the road. Despite those numbers, the T's competed tonight and were in the ballgame until the end.
Shelby Lackey went six innings and allowed only one earned run. Lackey's quality start was exactly what the Tourists needed because they had to face a tough pitcher in the Drive's Hunter Haworth. Asheville struck first off Haworth when Danny Edgeworth hit a solo Home Run in the top of the second inning.
Greenville responded with an unearned run in the third and then took the lead on a solo Home Run in the sixth. The game remained 2-1 all the way until the bottom of the eighth. That is when Greenville used a two-run Home Run to create some extra insurance.
The Tourists only had two base-runners over the final six innings; a single by Coco Montes and a walk drawn by Edgeworth. Montes finished with two of the Tourists five total hits.
The series wraps up on Wednesday morning with a special 11:05am start time. Asheville will attempt to avoid being swept while Greenville will look to surpass the Tourists in the standings.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from July 16, 2019
- 'Birds Wilt Late, 'Claws Even Series - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Early Offense Paces West Virginia to 11-6 Win Tuesday - West Virginia Power
- Newton Stays Hot, Homers in Fireflies Loss - Columbia Fireflies
- Early Deficit Proves Too Much for Dogs in Augusta - Charleston RiverDogs
- Oller on Fire, Jackets Defeat Charleston 4-1 - Augusta GreenJackets
- Crawdads Walk-Off in 10th to Beat Kannapolis - Hickory Crawdads
- RECAP - Claws Plate Three in Ninth, Top Birds 7-4 - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Suns Winning Streak Ends at Five - Hagerstown Suns
- Pitching, Long Ball Power Drive Past Tourists - Greenville Drive
- Lackey's Strong Outing Not Enough to Cure Road Woes - Asheville Tourists
- Fireflies Roster Move and Game Notes: July 16 at West Virginia (Game 92) - Columbia Fireflies
- Game Notes (July 16) - West Virginia Power
- All-Star Game Comes to Rome - Rome Braves
- Hagerstown Suns: Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Braves Hang on Late in 4-3 Win vs Legends - Rome Braves