Crawdads Walk-Off in 10th to Beat Kannapolis
Hickory, NC - The Crawdads rallied twice in the late innings to defeat the Kannapolis Intimidators 5-4 on Tuesday night. Pedro Gonzalez delivered the game-winning hit in the tenth inning.
The win gives the Crawdads the victory in the Battle of the Backroads season series. The Crawdads have won eight games to Kannapolis' six with one game left to play.
Abdiel Mendoza got the start for the 'Dads and delivered five scoreless innings, yielding just one hit.
The 'Dads got on the board in the bottom half of the inning to take a 1-0 lead. Jax Biggers started the rally off with a walk and stole his sixth base of the season to get in scoring position. Matt Whatley drove him in with a single to center.
Hever Bueno came into the game in relief of Mendoza and struck out the first three batters he faced.
In the bottom of the seventh the Crawdads extended their lead to two runs with a solo homerun by Ryan Anderson. The homer was Anderson's fourth of the season.
The Intimidators took the lead in the top of the ninth with a three-run homer off 'Dads reliever Kelvin Gonzalez.
In the bottom of the ninth, down to their last out, the Crawdads tied things up on Ryan Anderson's second homerun of the night.
Kannapolis brought the designated runner on second in to score and take a 4-3 lead in the tenth.
The 'Dads rallied to win the game in the bottom half of the inning. Matt Whatley hit a double to score Frainyer Chavez, who began the inning as the runner on second. Josh Jung was intentionally walked and Tyreque Reed worked the count to draw a walk and load the bases. Pedro Gonzalez hit a bloop to shallow right to score Whatley and send the 'Dads home with a 5-4 victory.
The Rangers first round draft pick this year and number 8 overall in the draft, Josh Jung made his Crawdads debut Tuesday, going 2-4 with a double. He also drew an intentional walk in the tenth inning.
The homestand wraps up tomorrow night as the Crawdads take on the identity of Las Llamas de Hickory presented by the Catawba County Partnership for Children and the Dolly Parton Imagination Library. The team will be celebrating Latin culture throughout the evening. A Wine and Design class will also be taking place on the picnic deck where fans can paint a sunset or llamas drinking wine. It is also Kids Win Wednesday sponsored by NC Pediatric Dentistry and Wine Wednesday presented by Catawba Farms and Carolina Vines.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from July 16, 2019
- 'Birds Wilt Late, 'Claws Even Series - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Early Offense Paces West Virginia to 11-6 Win Tuesday - West Virginia Power
- Newton Stays Hot, Homers in Fireflies Loss - Columbia Fireflies
- Early Deficit Proves Too Much for Dogs in Augusta - Charleston RiverDogs
- Oller on Fire, Jackets Defeat Charleston 4-1 - Augusta GreenJackets
- Crawdads Walk-Off in 10th to Beat Kannapolis - Hickory Crawdads
- RECAP - Claws Plate Three in Ninth, Top Birds 7-4 - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Suns Winning Streak Ends at Five - Hagerstown Suns
- Pitching, Long Ball Power Drive Past Tourists - Greenville Drive
- Lackey's Strong Outing Not Enough to Cure Road Woes - Asheville Tourists
- Fireflies Roster Move and Game Notes: July 16 at West Virginia (Game 92) - Columbia Fireflies
- Game Notes (July 16) - West Virginia Power
- All-Star Game Comes to Rome - Rome Braves
- Hagerstown Suns: Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Braves Hang on Late in 4-3 Win vs Legends - Rome Braves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.