LA Galaxy Postgame Notes: LA Galaxy 1, Cruz Azul 2 - Tuesday, August 20, 2019
- The LA Galaxy fell 2-1 to Cruz Azul Tuesday evening at Dignity Health Sports Park in the semifinal of Leagues Cup.
- With the result, the LA Galaxy are eliminated from 2019 Leagues Cup competition.
- In their first-ever Leagues Cup match, the LA Galaxy defeated Club Tijuana on penalties at Dignity Health Sports Park in July to advance to the semifinals.
- Cruz Azul will face Tigres in the Leagues Cup Final on Sept. 18 in Sam Boyd Stadium in Las Vegas.
- Rookie midfielder Emil Cuello scored his second-ever LA Galaxy goal Tuesday night with his first-half tally.
- Cuello is now tied as the LA Galaxy's leading goalscorer in Leagues Cup action with Emmanuel Boateng and Dave Romney, who both scored in the 2-2 draw vs. Tijuana.
- Goalkeeper Matt Lampson made his third start of the season in goal, previously starting in the LA Galaxy's US Open Cup contest at Portland and in the first Leagues Cup match against Club Tijuana.
- LA Galaxy II player Nick Depuy made his first senior appearance for the LA Galaxy. Fellow LA Galaxy II player Kai Koreniuk, who started in the first Leagues Cup competition, was on the 18 man roster Tuesday evening.
- Next, the LA Galaxy will face LAFC at Banc of California Stadium on Sunday, Aug. 25 on FS1 and FOX Deportes at 7:30 p.m. PT.
- For more information, visit www.lagalaxy.com.
LA Galaxy 1, Cruz Azul 2
Tuesday, Aug. 20, 2019 - 7:30 p.m. PT
2019 Leagues Cup - Semifinal
Dignity Health Sports Park - Los Angeles
CA - Jose Maduena (Assisted by Orbelin Pineda) 4'
LA - Emil Cuello (Assisted by Favio Alvarez) 37'
CA - Orbelin Pineda (Assisted by Yoshimar Yotún) 47'
CA - Igor Lichnovsky (caution) 32'
CA - Yoshimar Yotún (caution) 88'
LA Galaxy: Matt Lampson; Daniel Steres, Giancarlo Gonzalez, Nick Depuy*, Dave Romney; Servando Carrasco (Sebastian Lletget 68'), Joe Corona; Efrain Alvarez, Favio Alvarez (Ethan Zubak 68'), Emil Cuello (Uriel Antuna 80'); Chris Pontius.
Substitutions not used: David Bingham, Diego Polenta, Tomas Hilliard-Arce, Kai Koreniuk*.
*On loan from LA Galaxy II
Head Coach: Guillermo Barros Schelotto
TOTAL SHOTS: 9; SHOTS ON GOAL: 3; FOULS: 12; OFFSIDE: 0; CORNER KICKS: 5; SAVES: 1.
Cruz Azul: Jesus Corona ©; Julio Dominguez, Igor Lichnovsky, Adrian Aldrete, Pablo Aguilar, Jose Maduena, Yoshimar Yotun (Juan Escobar 90'+3), Roberto Alvarado (Guillermo Fernandez 59'), Orbelin Pineda (Elias Hernandez 77'), Milton Caraglio, Edgar Mendez.
Substitutions not used: Guillermo Allison, Rafael Baca, Martin Cauteruccio, Jonathan Rodriguez.
Head Coach: Pedro Caixinha
TOTAL SHOTS: 11; SHOTS ON GOAL: 3; FOULS: 11; OFFSIDE: 2; CORNER KICKS: 3; SAVES: 2.
Referee: Mario Escobar
Referee's Assistants: Christian Ramirez, Gerson Lopez
4th Official: Said Martinez
VAR: Jose Carlos Rivero
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from August 21, 2019
- Post-Match Facts | D.C. United V. New York Red Bulls - D.C. United
- Notes & Quotes: New York City FC 1 - 0 Columbus Crew SC - New York City FC
- Red Bulls Get Road Win at D.C. - New York Red Bulls
- LAFC Adds to Landmark Campaign with Earliest Postseason Clinch: Week 25 MLS News & Notes - MLS
- Minnesota United FC vs. Sporting Kansas City Preview - Minnesota United FC
- "Party at the Pitch," week of activities planned ahead of Sunday's #HellisReal rivalry game - FC Cincinnati
- Head Coach Remi Garde Dismissed - Montreal Impact
- Atlanta United Signs Luiz Fernando to MLS Contract - Atlanta United FC
- Peter Tomozawa Joins Sounders FC as Owner and President of Business Operations - Seattle Sounders FC
- Cruz Azul and Tigres UANL to Battle for First-Ever Leagues Cup Title on September 18 in Las Vegas - MLS
- Preview: Sporting to Host Second-Place Minnesota on Thursday - Sporting Kansas City
- New England Revolution Re-Sign Matt Turner to Multi-Year Contract - New England Revolution
- Match Preview: Columbus Crew SC Travels to Face New York City FC Tonight - Columbus Crew SC
- Atlanta United Academy Adds Two Coaches to Staff - Atlanta United FC
- LA Galaxy Postgame Notes: LA Galaxy 1, Cruz Azul 2 - Tuesday, August 20, 2019 - LA Galaxy
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent LA Galaxy Stories
- LA Galaxy Goalkeeper Matt Lampson Named MLS WORKS Humanitarian of the Year
- LA Galaxy to Host Watch Party on October 24 at Dignity Health Sports Park's Legends Plaza for Audi 2019 MLS Cup Playoffs Match
- LA Galaxy Postgame Notes: LA Galaxy 2, Minnesota United FC 1 - Sunday, October 20, 2019
- LA Galaxy Announce 2019 Team Awards
- LA Galaxy Forward Zlatan Ibrahimovic Again Has Major League Soccer's Best-Selling Jersey