New England Revolution Re-Sign Matt Turner to Multi-Year Contract
FOXBOROUGH, Mass. - The New England Revolution have re-signed goalkeeper Matt Turner to a multi-year contract, the club announced today. The new contract ensures that Turner will remain with the Revolution beyond what is currently his fourth MLS season, all with New England.
Turner, 25, has registered a 14-12-13 record with 133 saves and eight shutouts since signing with the Revolution as an undrafted college player in March 2016. He ranks among the Revolution's all-time leaders in games played and games started in goal (seventh), minutes played in goal (seventh), wins (seventh), saves (eighth), and shutouts (tied-fifth). In 2019, he owns a 6-2-4 record with 50 saves and three shutouts. His 73.5 saves percentage and .667 winning percentage both rank in the top five among all MLS goalkeepers on the season. In 2019, Turner has earned two MLSsoccer.com Team of the Week selections, including one for his career-high nine-save effort on August 17 against the New York Red Bulls.
"Since I arrived at the club earlier this year, Matt has been a consummate professional and an excellent ambassador for the Revolution on and off the field." Revolution Sporting Director and Head Coach Bruce Arena said. "We hope to see Matt in a Revolution shirt for years to come, and we look forward to seeing him continue to develop as a goalkeeper and a leader in our locker room."
The Park Ridge, N.J. native was signed by New England in March 2016 after earning a roster spot as a preseason trialist. Turner, who did not make an appearance for the Revolution in his first two years with the club, developed on a series of loan stints with the Richmond Kickers of the USL Championship, where he accrued seven shutouts across 27 starts. He won New England's starting goalkeeping job ahead of the 2018 MLS season opener, making his debut on March 3 at Philadelphia.
"I'm thrilled to continue my career with the club that took a chance on me as an undrafted rookie from a small school, invested in my development, and gave me an opportunity to prove myself at this level," Turner said. "I can't wait to continue playing in front of The Fort, expand my work in the community, and hopefully bring a championship to this great city that I now consider my home."
Matt Turner's Career at a Glance:
Currently in fourth professional season with a 14-12-13 record and eight shutouts through 40 career MLS starts.
Ranks among Revolution's all-time leaders in games played in goal, games started in goal, minutes played in goal, wins, saves, and shutouts.
In 2019, ranks inside the top five in saves percentage and winning percentage among all MLS goalkeepers.
Made 27 starts and recorded seven shutouts while on short-term loans with the USL Championship's Richmond Kickers in 2016 and 2017.
A graduate of Fairfield University, Turner was a two-year starter for the Stags. As a junior, he was named Fairfield's Male Athlete of the Year after leading the nation in saves percentage (89 percent) and shutout percentage (72 percent). During his senior season, Turner submitted a 6-5-6 record with seven shutouts.
Off the field, Turner is one of the club's most active ambassadors in the community. This season, he launched 'Matt's NEGU Crew', a program that gives young cancer patients associated with the Jessie Rees Foundation a memorable game day experience at Gillette Stadium that includes a meet and greet with Matt, a private suite for the family, and a postgame walk around the field, in addition to time spent away from the stadium.
TRANSACTION: New England Revolution re-sign goalkeeper Matt Turner to a multi-year contract on August 21, 2019.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from August 21, 2019
- Post-Match Facts | D.C. United V. New York Red Bulls - D.C. United
- Notes & Quotes: New York City FC 1 - 0 Columbus Crew SC - New York City FC
- Red Bulls Get Road Win at D.C. - New York Red Bulls
- LAFC Adds to Landmark Campaign with Earliest Postseason Clinch: Week 25 MLS News & Notes - MLS
- Minnesota United FC vs. Sporting Kansas City Preview - Minnesota United FC
- "Party at the Pitch," week of activities planned ahead of Sunday's #HellisReal rivalry game - FC Cincinnati
- Head Coach Remi Garde Dismissed - Montreal Impact
- Atlanta United Signs Luiz Fernando to MLS Contract - Atlanta United FC
- Peter Tomozawa Joins Sounders FC as Owner and President of Business Operations - Seattle Sounders FC
- Cruz Azul and Tigres UANL to Battle for First-Ever Leagues Cup Title on September 18 in Las Vegas - MLS
- Preview: Sporting to Host Second-Place Minnesota on Thursday - Sporting Kansas City
- New England Revolution Re-Sign Matt Turner to Multi-Year Contract - New England Revolution
- Match Preview: Columbus Crew SC Travels to Face New York City FC Tonight - Columbus Crew SC
- Atlanta United Academy Adds Two Coaches to Staff - Atlanta United FC
- LA Galaxy Postgame Notes: LA Galaxy 1, Cruz Azul 2 - Tuesday, August 20, 2019 - LA Galaxy
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New England Revolution Stories
- New England Revolution Youth Development Update: September 30, 2020
- Revolution Defeat D.C. United, 2-0
- Game Preview: New England Revolution at D.C. United
- New England Revolution Youth Development Update: September 24, 2020
- Revolution Top Montreal Impact, 3-1