Kremer, Hall Shutout P-Nats
FREDERICK, MD. - The Frederick Keys (15-17) staff tossed a 3-0 shutout victory against the Potomac Nationals (12-20) to take the three-game series on Thursday afternoon at Nymeo Field. David Kremer, Luis Perez (1-1), and DL Hall (S,1) scattered five hits and held the P-Nats hitless in 11 at-bats with runners in scoring position. Home runs from Willy Yahn and Jake Ring were enough to secure the win. It is the third time in five games the Keys have tossed a shutout.
Kremer made his first start of the season after dealing with an oblique injury that sidelined him during spring training. The California native saw trouble in the second after loading the bases on a walk, single, and hit-by-pitch but induced a fly-out to end the 27-pitch inning. In the third, with runners on first and second, Kremer struck out Alex Dunlap to end the threat. Perez relieved Kremer with two-outs in the fourth. He finished with four hits, two walks, and five strikeouts over three and two-thirds innings pitched.
Offensively, the orange and black needed two big swings to get the job done. Yahn blasted a solo shot to left field in the third inning for his third home run of the season, while Ring yanked one just fair of the right field foul pole with a runner on base in the fourth to put the Keys up 3-0.
Perez put down the middle of the order in the fifth and gave way to Hall in the sixth who was dominant. Hall allowed one hit, walked three and tied a season-high with eight strikeouts while picking up his first career save.
Malvin Pena (2-2) was dealt the loss despite recording a quality start. He went six innings and gave up three hits, but two of them were home runs.
The Keys welcome the Fayetteville Woodpeckers into town for a three-game series starting on Friday, May 10. Frederick has yet to announce a starter while the Woodpeckers send LHP Parker Mushinski (0-0, 2.55 ERA) to the mound. First pitch is at 7:00 p.m. and pregame coverage begins at 6:45 p.m. on frederickkeys.com and the TuneIn radio app.
The Frederick Keys are the Advanced-A affiliate of the Baltimore Orioles, and play their home games at Nymeo Field at Harry Grove Stadium. Following the 2018 season, the Keys were named the winner of the Carolina League's Complete Franchise Award. This goes to a team in the league which demonstrates franchise stability and significant contributions to its community and the league. In 2019, the team will host the Carolina League All-Star Classic presented by Visit Frederick. For more information about the Frederick Keys please contact Geoff Arnold by phone at (301)-815-9915 or by emailing at [email protected]
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from May 9, 2019
- Rocks Can't Hold Early Lead, Drop Series in Salem - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- Assad Brilliant, Bullpen Struggles in 7-4 Loss to Down East - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Woodies Use Seven-Run Seventh To Salvage Finale From Pelicans - Down East Wood Ducks
- Castillo, Bullpen Shine in 4-1 Win over Lynchburg - Winston-Salem Dash
- Big First Inning Powers Dash to Series Win over Lynchburg - Lynchburg Hillcats
- May 9 Game Information - Down East Wood Ducks
- May 9 - Carolina Micro Brews Game Information - Carolina Mudcats
- Winston-Salem Dash: Game Notes (May 9 vs. Lynchburg) - Winston-Salem Dash
- Myrtle Beach Pelicans Game Notes: May 9 at Down East - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- LHP Manuel Rondon assigned to Myrtle Beach - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Kremer, Hall Shutout P-Nats - Frederick Keys
- P-Nats Blanked by Keys in Finale - Potomac Nationals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.