Kolyachonok Named to OHL's First All-Rookie Team
Toronto, Ont. - Defenseman Vladislav Kolyachonok (pronounced koh-lee-uh-cho-nohk) is the first ever Flint Firebird to be named to the Ontario Hockey League's (OHL) First All-Rookie Team for the 2018-19 season.
Kolyachonok finished second among all rookie defenseman in the OHL this season, setting a record for most points by a rookie in a Firebirds' uniform with 30 points (4G, 26A) in 54 games. Along with earning the honor on the league level, he was tabbed as Flint's 'Best Defenseman' at the end-of-year Firebirds' player awards banquet.
The 6-foot-2, 188-pound skater is a native of Minsk, Belarus and has been ranked as number-31 among North American skaters listed by NHL Central Scouting in their Final Rankings for the 2019 NHL Draft, which takes place June 21-22 in Vancouver, BC.
"We'd like to congratulate Vladislav on being named to the OHL First-All Rookie Team," said Flint Firebirds Vice President of Hockey Operations & General Manager Barclay Branch. "His work ethic and determination all season long is deserving of this honor and we couldn't be happier to have him as a Flint Firebird."
Kolyachonok was recently named captain for the Belarus National Men's Under-18 Team at the 2019 International Ice Hockey Federation (IIHF) U-18 World Championship in Ornsköldsvik and Umeå, Sweden where he finished second on his team and third among all defenseman in the tournament with five points (1G, 4A) in six games.
The OHL All-Rookie Teams were selected by the OHL's General Managers. Players were voted on initially by position within their conference receiving five points for a first place vote, three for a second place vote, and one for a third. Top vote getters in each position made up the final ballot that was then circulated to all 20 teams.
2018-19 OHL All-Rookie Teams (voting points in brackets):
Center - Quinton Byfield, Sudbury Wolves (87)
Left Wing - Cole Perfetti, Saginaw Spirit (91)
Right Wing - Jacob Perreault, Sarnia Sting (89)
Defense - Jamie Drysdale, Erie Otters (95)
Defense - Vladislav Kolyachonok, Flint Firebirds (69)
Goaltender - Jet Greaves, Barrie Colts (58)
Center - Marco Rossi, Ottawa 67's (52)
Left Wing - Will Cuylle, Windsor Spitfires (52)
Right Wing - Tyler Tullio, Oshawa Generals (35)
Defense - Ryan O'Rourke, Soo Greyhounds (53)
Defense - Daniil Chayka, Guelph Storm (38)
Goaltender - Zachary Roy, Hamilton Bulldogs (39)
• Discuss this story on the Ontario Hockey League message board...
Ontario Hockey League Stories from May 6, 2019
- 67's Winning Streak Ends with Game 3 Loss to Guelph - Ottawa 67's
- Steelheads' Nicholas Canade Named OHL Humanitarian of the Year - Mississauga Steelheads
- Kolyachonok Named to OHL's First All-Rookie Team - Flint Firebirds
- Eight Petes Prospects Compete in 2019 OHL Gold Cup - Peterborough Petes
- Steelheads' Nicholas Canade Named OHL Humanitarian of the Year - OHL
- 67's Sasha Chmelevski Named OHL 'On the Run' Player of the Week - OHL
- Otters Prospects at OHL Gold Cup - Erie Otters
- OHL Championship Series - Game 3 Preview: Ottawa 67's at Guelph Storm - Guelph Storm
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Flint Firebirds Stories
- Firebirds Win the Flint Michigan Megabowl
- Preview: the Flint Michigan Megabowl Is Saturday
- Firebirds Knock-Off First-Place Saginaw Friday, Set Record for Most Wins in a Season
- Preview: Firebirds Face Spirit Friday in Saginaw
- Firebirds Host 5th-Annual Ã¢ÂÂTropics Night' Saturday