Know Your Opponent: Los Angeles Football Club
On to the Quarterfinals. Meeting City in the final eight is LAFC. The 2019 MLS Supporters Shield winners advanced by knocking out Seattle to the tune of 4-1. Here's what you need to know about Friday's opponents:
Key Transactions and Player News
LAFC will be without a few notable figures on Friday. Carlos Vela decided to skip the MLS is Back Tournament along with new signing Andy Najar. Meanwhile, Adama Diomande began the tournament but has since left the bubble. Three big losses, but LAFC hasn't slowed much.
Other key losses looking back to the offseason include starting center back Walker Zimmerman, starting goalkeeper Tyler Miller and midfielder Lee Nguyen.
The key additions to make note of for LAFC have been goalkeeper Kenneth Vermeer, striker Bradley Wright-Phillips and Jose Cifuentes. Wright-Phillips has been key in his four matches at the tournament with three goals and one assist.
LAFC finished second in Group F on five points behind Portland who finished on seven points. While LAFC has been an offensive juggernaut, the defensive side of the ball has been a problem through their four tournament matches. LA scored 11 goals during the group stage (six goals coming against the Galaxy) but they allowed seven goals. That tied Vancouver for the most goals allowed by a team that advanced to the knockout stage.
The Lions and LAFC have only met twice with LA claiming the first meeting and the second meeting ending in a draw.
Rasmussen College Fact
In City's last meeting with LAFC, Nani scored just 10 seconds after the restart following LAFC's opening goal. That match ended in a 2-2 draw.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from July 29, 2020
- Inter Miami CF, Publix Launch Partnership with Interactive Fan Experience - Inter Miami CF
- Earthquakes to Expand Drive-In Viewing Parties for Quarterfinals - San Jose Earthquakes
- Know Your Opponent: Los Angeles Football Club - Orlando City SC
- Preview: Sporting to Face Philly in MLS Is Back Quarterfinals - Sporting Kansas City
- MNUFC Advances to Quarterfinals of MLS Is Back Tournament - Minnesota United FC
- Orange and Blue eliminated from MLS is Back Tournament - FC Cincinnati
- Timbers Advance to Quarterfinal Round of MLS Is Back Tournament in Penalty-Kick Shootout against FC Cincinnati - Portland Timbers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.