Knights Top the Black Bears in Overtime, 4-3
PITTSON, Penn. - The Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Knights topped the Maryland Black Bears in a 4-3 overtime victory on Friday, January 10, at Revolution Ice Centre.
The Knights record in regular season play improves to 17-14-2-1 (W-L-OTL-SOL).
The Black Bears took a 1-0 lead after a scoreless first period, striking first at 12:13 of the middle frame.
With 7:08 left in the second, Zak Currie scored the Knights' first goal of the game to tie it up, 1-1. Michael Sacco and Johnny Kaljian were credited with assists.
The Black Bears took back the lead with 4:42 left in the second, but the lead was short-lived.
Kaljian knotted the score up, 2-2, just 13 seconds later, with assists from Currie and Sacco.
Scoring opened up late in the third period when the Knights tallied their third goal of the game with just 3:15 left in the period. Spencer Kring scored on the power play, with assists from Tyrone Bronte and Lincoln Hatten.
The game was ultimately decided in overtime, however, as the Black Bears scored a late goal to tie the score at three apiece.
With 3:07 left in 5-minute overtime, Cadon Meyer scored the game winning goal, with assists from Sacco and Artur Turansky, securing the 4-3 overtime win for the Knights.
Alex Contey played a full game in net and made 23 saves.
The Knights face off with the Black Bears again tomorrow, January 10, for a 7pm faceoff at Revolution Ice Centre.
Images from this story
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Knights vs. the Maine Black Bears
• Discuss this story on the North American Hockey League message board...
North American Hockey League Stories from January 11, 2020
- Triumphant 3rd Period for Ice Wolves Leads to a Weekend Sweep - New Mexico Ice Wolves
- Bulls Force Tie Atop South Division Standings with 5-1 over Odessa - Amarillo Bulls
- Three Game Sweep Complete; Bruins Melt Blizzard 7-4 - Austin Bruins
- Rough Third Period Dooms Jacks in Amarillo - Odessa Jackalopes
- Shreveport Defeats Corpus Christi Saturday - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Rebels Explode for 6 Goals, Snap Skid - Jamestown Rebels
- Tomahawks Fall to Rebels - Johnstown Tomahawks
- Black Bears Break Point Streak and Fall to Knights - Maryland Black Bears
- Knights Defeat the Black Bears, 4-2 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Knights
- Wings Unable to Come All the Way Back After Slow Start Friday - Aberdeen Wings
- Knights Top the Black Bears in Overtime, 4-3 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Knights
- Nordiques Roll Past Titans 7-2 - New Jersey Titans
- Ice Wolves Add to Brown Bears Struggles in the South - Kenai River Brown Bears
- IceRays Start Three-Game Weekend with Loss to Mudbugs - Corpus Christi IceRays
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.