Bulls Force Tie Atop South Division Standings with 5-1 over Odessa
Amarillo, TX - The Amarillo Bulls used three third period goals to pull away for a 5-1 victory over the Odessa Jackalopes on Friday night.
The two sides exchanged equal shots through the early portion of the first period, with neither team finding the icebreaker. The first goal of the game would come at 16:09 mark into the frame, when Ty Black scored his seventh of the season for the 1-0 lead.
Mid-way into the second period, the Jackalopes would tie the game on a goal by their captain, Matt Hutton, to break up the Amarillo momentum. The Bulls would answer over six minutes later when Matt Allen threaded a pass to Jordan Venegoni who netted his breakaway chance for the 2-1 lead.
After a major penalty set the Jackalopes down a skater for five minutes, the Bulls grew their lead to 3-1 when Lauri Sertti ripped a slap shot into the back of the net. Shortly after, the powerplay scored again when Jordan Venegoni scored his team leading 19th goal of the season. Amarillo would add one more powerplay tally to the score line as Devan Tongue tucked home a rebound for his eighth of the season.
Max Gutjahr would stop 17 of the 18 shots that he faced to earn his 14th victory on the season.
With the win, the Bulls are now 27-6-1-2 and hold 57 points and have earned a tie atop the South Division standing with the Lone Star Brahmas. The Bulls are also tied for the most points in the entire North American Hockey League.
The Bulls will remain at home on Sunday, January 12, to take on the Odessa Jackalopes. Mark Shelley will broadcast the game from the Spicy Mike's Bar-B-Q Broadcast Booth, and the action will begin at 3:00PM CST on 107.1 Nash Icon and Hockey TV.
• Discuss this story on the North American Hockey League message board...
North American Hockey League Stories from January 11, 2020
- Triumphant 3rd Period for Ice Wolves Leads to a Weekend Sweep - New Mexico Ice Wolves
- Bulls Force Tie Atop South Division Standings with 5-1 over Odessa - Amarillo Bulls
- Three Game Sweep Complete; Bruins Melt Blizzard 7-4 - Austin Bruins
- Rough Third Period Dooms Jacks in Amarillo - Odessa Jackalopes
- Shreveport Defeats Corpus Christi Saturday - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Rebels Explode for 6 Goals, Snap Skid - Jamestown Rebels
- Tomahawks Fall to Rebels - Johnstown Tomahawks
- Black Bears Break Point Streak and Fall to Knights - Maryland Black Bears
- Knights Defeat the Black Bears, 4-2 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Knights
- Wings Unable to Come All the Way Back After Slow Start Friday - Aberdeen Wings
- Knights Top the Black Bears in Overtime, 4-3 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Knights
- Nordiques Roll Past Titans 7-2 - New Jersey Titans
- Ice Wolves Add to Brown Bears Struggles in the South - Kenai River Brown Bears
- IceRays Start Three-Game Weekend with Loss to Mudbugs - Corpus Christi IceRays
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.