Knicks Sneak by Go-Go in Overtime; 115-112
WASHINGTON, DC - The Westchester Knicks, the official NBA G League affiliate of the New York Knicks, beat the Capital City Go-Go in overtime, 115-112, Wednesday night at the Entertainment and Sports Arena.
The Knicks' (3-6) offensive attack was once again led by the duo of Dewan Hernandez (Returning Rights) and Brandon Williams (tryout). Hernandez led the team with 24 points, nine rebounds, and a career-high four steals. Williams dropped 22 points for his fifth consecutive outing with at least 20 points, while also dishing out a career-high 10 assists and collecting seven boards. Aamir Simms (Affiliate) chipped in with 18 points and seven rebounds. After a five-game absence due to injury, Tyler Hall (Returning Rights) hit five triples to finish with 16 points.
The Go-Go (5-4) were led by Greg Monroe's double-double of 28 points and 11 rebounds, along with Cassius Winston's 16 points off the bench. Joel Ayayi and Dejon Jarreau scored 14 points and 13 points, respectively.
Simms hit a three to open the game's scoring and led the Knicks with 11 quick points in a back-and-forth first quarter, with Capital City clinging to a 33-30 lead after one. In the second, the game saw 14 lead changes, with the highest advantage by either side hitting four by the home team on two occasions, en route to a slim 60-57 edge heading to the locker room.
The game continued to stay tight after the break, until Westchester scored 17 unanswered points midway through the period to take an 81-68 lead at the 4:04 mark of the quarter. The Go-Go would not go away, however, and answered with a 9-0 run of their own to cut the deficit to 83-80 in favor of the Knicks after three. The momentum of the home team continued into the fourth, with Capital City taking a 98-87 lead with 7:13 to play in regulation. The visitors continued to battle, coming back to tie the score at 104-104 with 1:19 to go. The Go-Go took a 108-106 lead with 00.9 on the clock, but fouled Hernandez who sank two free-throws to bring the game to overtime.
In the last period, there were three lead changes, with MJ Walker (Affiliate) hitting the final two free-throws to give Westchester the 115-112 win.
The Knicks will return home to face the Delaware Blue Coats on Tuesday, February 1 at 7 PM ET.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from January 27, 2022
- Force Not Enough Down the Stretch, Drops 119-97 Contest to Austin - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Coats Collect Fourth Straight Win, Swat Swarm - Delaware Blue Coats
- Santa Cruz Loses to Rio Grande Valley, 126-111 - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Long Island Nets Acquire Treveon Graham - Long Island Nets
- Knicks Sneak by Go-Go in Overtime; 115-112 - Westchester Knicks
- Celtics Hold off Rally to Beat Mad Ants - Maine Celtics
- Maine Tops Fort Wayne to Split Series - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Herd Drains the Charge - Wisconsin Herd
- Tough Defense Lifts Birmingham Past Oklahoma City - Birmingham Squadron
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.