Knicks Endure Five-Point Setback to Maine
WHITE PLAINS, NY - The Westchester Knicks, the official NBA G League affiliate of the New York Knicks, fell 116-111, to the Maine Red Claws, Sunday afternoon at Westchester County Center.
The Knicks (16-22) came out to a hot start and showed signs of control owning the Red Claws by as many as 13 points by the midway mark of the first quarter. The Red Claws (26-10) responded with an 18-4 stretch bringing the score to 28-27 favoring the visitors. A go-ahead Knicks' three-pointer settled the first quarter line, 30-28.
Tempo sided with Maine in the second period and eventually saw the foe credit a six-point advantage at the intermission. Trey Davis led the Red Claws' comeback with 17 points in the half.
Maine never trailed in the second half and despite being indebted 21 points, a relentless Westchester team managed to fill all but four of its deficit with five minutes to go. Maine pushed its lead back up seven with moments later and though the Knicks remained in striking distance for the duration of the game, empty possessions penalized any foreseeable comeback.
The Knicks defensive efforts on the boards was bested by Maine, 42-27. However, the hosts managed to force the Red Claws into committing 25 turnovers-the most by a Knicks opponent this season. Unfortunately, the Knicks only benefitted 25 points off of Maine's mistakes. The Knicks credited a vastly smaller margin of error but off of just 12 turnovers, Maine capitalized for 21 points.
Westchester saw five of its players in double-digit scoring including Lamar Peters (24), JJ Moore (21), New York Knicks assignee Ignas Brazdeikis (15), Two-Way player Kadeem Allen (13) and Andrew White III (10). Peters' game-high 11 assists marked the sixth time he's added at least that much.
For Maine, Trey Davis finished with a game-high 43 points with six assists which marked a franchise high for the club. Yante Maten added 25 points alongside Wayne Blackshear who finished with 18.
The Knicks will be back in action on Wednesday, February 26 as they host the Greensboro Swarm at home; 7 PM ET.
Lamar Peters Scores 24 Points and Dishes 11 Assists - https://youtu.be/kdFP_2TCAZA JJ Moore Puts Up 21 Points with Westchester - https://youtu.be/uqLUjHyQOMw
For information on Knicks' season ticket packages, fans may visit www.WestchesterKnicks.com or contact the sales office at (914) 559-6889 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from February 23, 2020
- Bulls Come Back from 19 Down to Grab Third Straight Victory - Windy City Bulls
- Lakers Come from Behind Victory Spoils Brown's Big Day - Iowa Wolves
- South Bay Blows by Wolves in Fourth Quarter to Grab Road Win - South Bay Lakers
- Knicks Endure Five-Point Setback to Maine - Westchester Knicks
- Drive Score 48 in the 4th to Wrangle the Herd - Grand Rapids Drive
- Wade's Career High Leads Canton by Fort Wayne - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Charge Roll On - Canton Charge
- Grand Rapids' Fourth Quarter Comeback Downs Herd - Wisconsin Herd
- Long Island Nets Waive Phil Cofer - Long Island Nets
- Davis Drops 43 to Lead Short-Handed Red Claws - Maine Red Claws
- Warriors Drop Close One to Kings, 110-1105 - Santa Cruz Warriors
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Westchester Knicks Stories
- Westchester Rolls to Third Straight Win over Salt Lake City, 116-95
- Brazdeikis Posts 31 Points and Knicks Knock off Magic, 123-113
- Warriors Serve Knicks First Loss of the Season
- Knicks Reach .500 Following Nine Point Win over the Charge
- Shittu Leads Six Knicks in Double-Figures in Loss to Spurs