Kipnis Wins Aeros Player of the Week Award
AKRON, OH - Recently promoted second baseman Jason Kipnis is the recipient of the first-ever Akron Aeros Player of the Week Award. He earned the honor Monday in recognition of his efforts during the week from June 14th through June 20th when the Aeros played six games on the road against the New Hampshire Fisher Cats and the Portland Sea Dogs. Kipnis stood out offensively and collected a hit in every single contest to improve upon his impressive Double-A hitting statistics.
Kipnis had a team-leading .375 (9-for-24) batting average in the past week with five runs scored, three doubles, two home runs and four RBI. He homered in the losses on Tuesday night and Friday night while also smacking two doubles in Sunday's win at New Hampshire. He walked twice during Wednesday's contest and finished the week with an outrageous 1.194 OPS.
The 23-year-old has now hit safely in all eight of his outings since earning the promotion from the Class A Kinston Indians on June 10th. He is in his first full professional season of baseball as well as his first stint as a second baseman. Kipnis is a native of Northbrook, Illinois and his current eight-game hitting streak is the longest active mark on the team.
Cleveland selected the former outfielder out of Arizona State University in the second round of the June 2009 Draft and he made his professional debut last August. He appeared in 29 games for short-season Class A Mahoning Valley, batting .306 with 19 RBI. Kipnis then began the 2010 season with the K-Tribe in his new position at second base and collected a .308 average with eight home runs and 35 RBI in 46 games played.
The Akron Aeros will award their Player of the Week honor to an individual player every Monday for the rest of the season. In the case of a Monday closure of the team offices, the Aeros will announce the award Tuesday morning. This is a separate honor from the Eastern League Player-Pitcher of the Week Awards, which went to Harrisburg's Danny Espinosa and Erie's Brooks Brown respectively, this week.
The team is enjoying a much-deserved rest day Monday before returning to action Tuesday night at 7:05 p.m. at Canal Park against the Richmond Flying Squirrels. It is another Two for Tuesday and a buyout night where fans can find FREE ticket vouchers at local Applebee's restaurants. Red-hot Akron Aeros lefty Eric Berger (3-4, 5.25 ERA) matches up in the series opener against Richmond's Mike MacDonald (1-6, 4.96 ERA). Tomorrow night's game broadcast begins at 6:50 p.m. on Fox Sports 1350 AM and at www.akronaeros.com. For more information, please call the Aeros at (330) 253-5151.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from June 21, 2010
- Sens Shortstop Danny Espinosa is EL Player of the Week - Harrisburg Senators
- Senators Open Six-Game Homestand Against New Hampshire - Harrisburg Senators
- RHP Zach Clark Transferred to Norfolk - Bowie Baysox
- Three Fireworks Shows, a Giveaway and More Wackiness to Take Place During Upcoming Homestand - Altoona Curve
- Kipnis Wins Aeros Player of the Week Award - Akron RubberDucks
- Canal Park Hosts Hall of Famer Lem Barney - Akron RubberDucks
- Eastern League Names Pitcher and Player of the Week - EL
- Baysox Declare Weekend of Independence - Bowie Baysox
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Akron RubberDucks Stories
- RubberDucks to Honor Browns Legend Joe Thomas with New Extreme Food Item
- RubberDucks National Anthem Auditions Set for March 17
- RubberDucks Release Full 2018 Promotional Calendar
- RubberDucks Announce Staff Changes for 2018 Season
- RubberDucks Six-Hour Suite Heart Special Sale Is February 22