Kansas City NWSL Plays in Front of Packed House in Home Opener
KANSAS CITY - Kansas City NWSL opened up its Inaugural Home Season against the Houston Dash at Children's Mercy Park with the home fans showcasing their 'Teal Time' spirit in support of the team. Children's Mercy Park welcomed back women's professional soccer fans for the first time in 1,003 days. Michele Vasconcelos stated, "The community in Kansas City is all about bringing the fans in and making a connection with them."
Despite Kansas City winning 64 percent of possession in the first half, along with three corners, they went down 1-0 in the 24th minute on a left-footed shot from Houston's Kristie Mewis that beat KC goalkeeper Nicole Barnhart. The next 20 minutes saw multiple disciplines given to both squads with two yellow cards handed to Kansas City and one yellow card given to Houston. Houston went up 2-0 in the 45th minute when Dash forward, and former Challenge Cup MVP, Rachel Daly was awarded a penalty kick in the box after a questionable call, which she converted.
Kristie Mewis scored her second goal of the night off of an assist from Nichelle Prince in the 71st minute of the game to give Houston a 3-0 advantage. Michele Vasconcelos scored the first home goal for KC NWSL when she came in on a breakaway and fired a shot past Dash goalkeeper Jane Campbell. Lo'eau LaBonta assisted on the goal by making a beautiful through pass to Vasconcelos. Kansas City showed fight until the final whistle and proved they are able to play at a high level.
Coach Huw Williams said he was "bitterly disappointed" after the game and detailed that, "Our possession was safe in the 1st half and we need to break lines...I thought we were able to at times from the center back position, but the connection and the fluidity of the ball movement and player rotations in midfield need to be a little bit sharper."
Kansas City will now turn its focus to the final match of the 2021 Challenge Cup against the OL Reign, who they host on Monday, May 3 at home at Legends Field. Kickoff is slated for 7:30 p.m. CT and the game will stream live on Paramount+.
NWSL Match Report
Match: Kansas City NWSL vs Houston Dash
Date: April 26, 2021
Venue: Children's Mercy Park, Kansas City, Kansas
Kickoff: 7:38 p.m. CT, 8:38 p.m. ET
Weather: 82 degrees, windy
29' KC Sydney Miramontez (Yellow)
30' HOU Jane Campbell (Yellow)
40' KC Rachel Corsie (Yellow)
54' KC Kate Del Fava (Yellow)
58' HOU Brianna Visalli (Yellow)
25' HOU Kristie Mewis
45' HOU Rachel Daly
71' HOU Kristie Mewis (Prince)
77' KC Michele Vasconcelos (LaBonta)
Goals 1 2 F
Houston Dash 2 1 3
Kansas City 0 1 1
Houston Dash: Campbell, Chapman (60' Prisock), Naughton, Oyster, Hanson (82' Fields), Schmidt, Groom (81' Seiler), Mewis, Daly, Prince, Visalli (66' Latsko)
Substitutes Not Used: Harris, Ogle, Stengel
Kansas City: Barnhart, Miramontez (46' Maemone), Corsie (88' Leach), Bowen, Del Fava, Scott (75' Vincent), LaBonta, Nolf (75' McCain), Pickett (30' Logarzo), Rodriguez, Larroquette (69' Vasconcelos)
Substitutes Not Used: Listro, Nelson, Nick
• Discuss this story on the National Women's Soccer League message board...
National Women's Soccer League Stories from April 27, 2021
- Houston Dash Announce 2021 Regular Season Schedule - Houston Dash
- NC Courage Announces 2021 NWSL Regular Season Schedule - North Carolina Courage
- Match Forecast: OL Reign Host Chicago Red Stars in Third Challenge Cup Match - OL Reign
- OL Reign 2021 NWSL Regular Season Schedule Announced - OL Reign
- NJ/NY Gotham FC Announces Schedule for 2021 NWSL Season - NJ/NY Gotham FC
- Kansas City NWSL Releases Full 2021 Regular Season Schedule - Kansas City
- Orlando Pride to Begin 2021 NWSL Regular Season at Home on May 16 - Orlando Pride
- Thorns FC Announce Schedule for 2021 NWSL Season - Portland Thorns FC
- NWSL Announces Full 2021 Regular Season Schedule - NWSL
- NWSL Releases Racing's Inaugural 24-Game Schedule - Racing Louisville FC
- OL Reign Acquire Allocation Money and Draft Pick from Gotham FC - OL Reign
- NJ/NY Gotham FC Acquires Midfielder Allie Long from OL Reign - NJ/NY Gotham FC
- Kansas City NWSL Plays in Front of Packed House in Home Opener - Kansas City
- Houston Dash Defeat Kansas City NWSL for First Victory of the Year - Houston Dash
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Kansas City Stories
- Kansas City NWSL Kicks off Busy August against First-Place Portland Thorns
- Kansas City NWSL Signs Mallory Weber to Extension Through 2023 Season
- Kansas City NWSL Waives Goalkeeper Nicole Barnhart
- Kansas City NWSL Goalkeeper Carly Nelson Earns Clean Sheet in 0-0 Draw
- Kansas City NWSL Back in Action for First-Time Showdown against North Carolina Courage