Kamloops Blazers Name Shaun Clouston Head Coach, Darryl Sydor Associate Coach
Kamloops, BC - General Manager, Matt Bardsley announced today that Shaun Clouston has been named the team's Head Coach and Darryl Sydor is the hockey club's Associate Coach.
"We are excited about the dynamic that Shaun and Darryl along with the rest of our staff can bring that will help provide team success while enabling the players to maximize their potential individually," said Bardsley.
Clouston joins the Blazers after spending the past 16 seasons with the Medicine Hat Tigers. He was an Assistant Coach and Associate Coach with the Tigers from 2003-2010 where he won two WHL Championships in 2004 and 2007.
"We are excited to have Shaun join our organization as Head Coach," commented Bardsley. "He brings with him a wealth of successful Western Hockey League experience as well as International experience by representing Hockey Canada multiple times. He has a great understanding of today's players and is known for having his teams play with speed, structure and a high compete level that will be exciting for the outstanding group of players we will have for the upcoming season," said Bardsley.
The Viking, AB native was the Tigers Head Coach from 2010-2013 and spent 2013-2019 as the General Manager / Head Coach of the Tigers. He is the Tigers all-time winningest coach and currently has 391 wins in the WHL, which is third amongst active WHL coaches.
"It is a tremendous honour to join the Kamloops Blazers organization," commented Clouston. "I am excited to meet our players and eager to begin working alongside Matt, Darryl and our entire staff in creating a successful team both on the ice and in the community. My family and I look forward to making Kamloops our new home," said Clouston."
Sydor joins the Blazers on a full-time basis for the 2019-20 season as an Associate Coach after stepping behind the Blazers bench last season as an Assistant Coach.
He has an extensive playing career that spanned 1291 NHL games where he won two Stanley Cups with Dallas in 1999 and Tampa Bay in 2004.
"We are very fortunate to have the quality of person and coach in Darryl return to the organization as Associate Coach," said Bardsley. "His experience of being a Blazer alumni, NHL player and coach is so invaluable to the organization and the players," concluded Bardsley.
The Edmonton native has spent the past nine seasons coaching, including six seasons as an NHL Assistant Coach with the Minnesota Wild and St. Louis Blues.
"I am very honoured to have the opportunity to work alongside Shaun," said Sydor. "I am excited to help create a culture I was once a part of during my playing days with this franchise. I believe Shaun and I will be able to help our players reach their goals. Kamloops is my family's home and we are excited to continue to raise our family in this community," concluded Sydor.
The Kamloops Blazers Hockey Club will host a media availability of Shaun and Darryl on Wednesday, June 19th at 11:00am in the Kamloops Blazers Dressing room.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from June 17, 2019
- NHL Draft Profile || Clay Hanus - Portland Winterhawks
- Mekai Sanders to be Instructor at T-Birds Skills Camp - Seattle Thunderbirds
- Hurricanes Acquire Lethbridge Product from Royals - Lethbridge Hurricanes
- Royals Complete Trade with Hurricanes - Victoria Royals
- Americans Release 2019 Preseason Schedule - Tri-City Americans
- Kamloops Blazers Name Shaun Clouston Head Coach, Darryl Sydor Associate Coach - Kamloops Blazers
- 2019 NHL Draft Preview - Kelowna Rockets
- Winterhawks Announce 2019 Preseason Schedule - Portland Winterhawks
- Broncos Pre-Season Schedule Announced - Swift Current Broncos
- Blades Unveil 2019 Pre-Season Schedule - Saskatoon Blades
- NHL Draft Profile: Brett Kemp - Medicine Hat Tigers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Kamloops Blazers Stories
- Blazers Sign 2020 Draft Pick Luke Korte
- Blazers Select Defenseman Viktor Persson in CHL Import Draft
- Jarome Iginla Elected to the Hockey Hall of Fame
- Blazers Send Three Players to Canada's Under-17 Development Camp
- Inaki Baragano Invited to Switzerland National Junior Camp