Junior Blue Jackets lose 6-3 to Des Moines in first Buc Bowl game
DES MOINES, IOWA - The Ohio Junior Blue Jackets fell behind 4-0 after the first period and were unable to overcome 14 penalties and fell 6-3 to the Des Moines Buccaneers in front of an estimated crowd of 1,500 at the KGGO Arena Thursday night.
The Junior Blue Jackets were whistled for 10 penalties in the first period that resulted in three power play goals from Des Moines.
The second period proved to be much better for the Ohio Junior Blue Jackets with goals by Patrick Goebel (Parma, Ohio) and Stephen Balint (Grosse Ile, Mich.). Goebel tallied the first goal for the Junior Blue Jackets on a power play at the 6:43 mark with assists by Derek Danowski (Rochester Hills, Mich.) and Chris Reed (Solon, Ohio). Balint followed suit with his own tally at the 11:19 mark, with assists coming from both Danowki and Reed to cut the lead in half at the end of the second period. After two goals in the third by Des Moines, Sean McCauley (Plano, Texas) scored an unassisted goal with :59 seconds left to round out the Junior Blue Jackets scoring.
The Junior Blue Jackets goaltenders, Troy Redmann (Brea, Calif.) and Drew Palmisano (Ann Arbor, Mich.), split time in net. Redmann had 22 saves on 26 shots, while Palmisano recorded 22 saves on 24 shots.
The Junior Blue Jackets are currently 0-1-0 during preseason play at the Buc Bowl with two games remaining. The Junior Blue Jackets continue the Buc Bowl tournament today at 4 p.m. (ET) against the Omaha Lancers. The team will conclude its tournament play against the Tri-City Storm tomorrow morning at 11:30 a.m. (ET) at KGGO Arena.
Ohio Junior Blue Jackets individual game tickets for 2006-07 regular season home games are on sale now at Nationwide Arena, The Chiller Ice Rinks, all Ticketmaster Ticket Centers and www.OhioJuniorBlueJackets.com. For information on season and group tickets, call (614) 246-PUCK or (800) NHL-COLS.
• Discuss this story on the United States Hockey League message board...
United States Hockey League Stories from September 29, 2006
- Buccaneers defat Indiana - Des Moines Buccaneers
- Game tied after regulation play, Ohio pulls out victory in shootout - Ohio Junior Blue Jackets
- Cedar Rapids defeats Storm, 5-3 - Tri-City Storm
- RoughRiders Down Tri-City 5-3 - Cedar Rapids RoughRiders
- Lancers Fall To Riders' in Buc Bowl Opening Shootout - Omaha Lancers
- The $5,000 Ice opener - Indiana Ice
- Junior Blue Jackets lose 6-3 to Des Moines in first Buc Bowl game - Ohio Junior Blue Jackets
- Storm drop Buc Bowl opener - Tri-City Storm
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.