Game tied after regulation play, Ohio pulls out victory in shootout
DES MOINES, IOWA - The Ohio Junior Blue Jackets fell behind early, but rally for a 3-2 shootout victory over the Omaha Lancers at the Metro Sports Ice Arena on Friday afternoon, marking the first victory in Ohio Junior Blue Jackets history.
The Junior Blue Jackets gave up a goal :58 seconds into the game, but were able to rebound with a first period goal from Derek Roehl (Clinton Township, Mich.) on the powerplay. Assists on the goal came from Jason Simota (Livonia, Mich.) and Matt Larke (Oxford, Mich.).
With the game tied at 1-1, Junior Blue Jackets defenseman Toby Heaslip (Naples, Fla.) scored an unassisted powerplay goal at the 10:08 mark of the second period. Ohio goaltender Andrew Palmisano (Ann Arbor, Mich.) stood strong in net holding the opponent scoreless for 52 minutes, but Omaha was able to tie the game in the third period.
After a scoreless overtime frame, the game was decided in a shootout. Ohio's fourth shooter, Roehl, tied the shootout sending it to an extra frame. Palmisano stood strong stopping Omaha's shooter, giving Ohio an opportunity for their first win. Junior Blue Jackets forward Clark MacLean (Worthington, Ohio) scored the game winning goal in the sixth frame of the shootout.
The Junior Blue Jackets are now 1-1-0 during preseason play at the Buc Bowl with one game remaining. Ohio completes preseason play Saturday morning against the Tri-City Storm at 11:30 am (ET) at KGGO Arena.
Ohio Junior Blue Jackets regular season begins at Nationwide Arena on October 7 at 7 p.m. Individual game tickets are on sale now at Nationwide Arena, The Chiller Ice Rinks, all Ticketmaster Ticket Centers and online at www.OhioJuniorBlueJackets.com. For information on season and group tickets, call (614) 246-PUCK or (800) NHL-COLS.
• Discuss this story on the United States Hockey League message board...
United States Hockey League Stories from September 29, 2006
- Buccaneers defat Indiana - Des Moines Buccaneers
- Game tied after regulation play, Ohio pulls out victory in shootout - Ohio Junior Blue Jackets
- Cedar Rapids defeats Storm, 5-3 - Tri-City Storm
- RoughRiders Down Tri-City 5-3 - Cedar Rapids RoughRiders
- Lancers Fall To Riders' in Buc Bowl Opening Shootout - Omaha Lancers
- The $5,000 Ice opener - Indiana Ice
- Junior Blue Jackets lose 6-3 to Des Moines in first Buc Bowl game - Ohio Junior Blue Jackets
- Storm drop Buc Bowl opener - Tri-City Storm
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.