July 9th Minnesota Lynx at Las Vegas Aces Postgame Notes
Layshia Clarendon finished with a game-high-tying 18 points, shooting 9-of-16 from the field, nine assists and five rebounds, marking his first career 15+ points/5+ rebounds/5+ assists game.
Damiris Dantas caught fire in the first quarter, shooting a perfect 5-of-5 from the field, including 4-of-4 from deep. At the final buzzer, she had 14 points, a season-high nine rebounds and a career-high four steals.
Sylvia Fowles registered 14 points, nine rebounds, two assists and two blocks. With her first field goal of the night, Fowles moved to fourth all-time on the Lynx franchise leaderboard for field goals made, passing Katie Smith (1,127 FGM).
In 33:29 minutes of action, Kayla McBride tallied 10 points, three rebounds, three assists and one steal.
With her second assist of the night, McBride eclipsed the 500-career assists mark.
With the victory tonight, the Lynx are now on a six-game win streak and have the tie-breaker over Las Vegas.
The current single-season six-game win streak marks the 15th of its kind in Lynx franchise history.
According to Across the Timeline, tonight marks the first time a WNBA team has finished a game without a free throw attempt and won the contest. The only other team in league history to complete a game without a free throw attempt was defeated 62-56. (Washington Mystics on July 7, 2003).
Led by Dantas' 14 points, the Lynx tallied a season-high 33 first quarter points. The 33 points are the most in a first quarter since scoring 37 on Aug. 18, 2017 vs. Indiana. Minnesota is 20-4 all-time when scoring 30+ points in the first quarter.
The Lynx also connected on seven triples in the first quarter, tying a club record for most threes in a quarter (three times, MR: Aug. 22, 2017 vs. Phoenix).
Minnesota held the Aces to 35.6% (24-of-67) shooting from the field. Since the start of 2011, the Lynx improve to 126-4 when holding the opposition to 40.0% or less from the floor (6-0 this season).
• Discuss this story on the Women's National Basketball Association message board...
Women's National Basketball Association Stories from July 10, 2021
- Multiple Sky Players Make History; Chicago Falls to Mystics in OT Thriller, 85-89 - Chicago Sky
- Aces Drop Second Straight in 77-67 Loss to Minnesota - Las Vegas Aces
- July 9th Minnesota Lynx at Las Vegas Aces Postgame Notes - Minnesota Lynx
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Minnesota Lynx Stories
- Minnesota Lynx Center Sylvia Fowles Named 2021 KIA WNBA Defensive Player of the Year
- Minnesota's Layshia Clarendon Receives August WNBA Cares Community Assist Award Presented
- Timberwolves and Lynx Pack the Vote for November 2 Municipal Elections
- Lynx Playoff Tickets On-Sale for 2021 WNBA Playoffs on Sunday, September 26
- Minnesota Lynx vs Indiana Fever Postgame Notes