Jose's first slip up in months costs Bears
The Yakima Bears lost 6-1 to the Everett AquaSox Thursday night at Everett Memorial Stadium in Everett, Washington. The Bears have now lost three-consecutive games.
The Bears manufactured a run in the third to take the early lead. Michael Lang reached on a walk, stole second base, went to third base on a Danny Poma single, and scored on a Josh Parr sacrifice fly. After that, it was all AquaSox. Everett hit a three-run home run off of Jose Jose in the sixth inning to take a 3-1 lead. The AquaSox added another run in the seventh inning and two more in the eighth.
Kyle Owings had one of his best starts as a Bear. Owings went five and two thirds innings and allowed only one run on four hits and a walk. The only run Owings gave up was scored after he left the game with two outs in sixth inning. Jose Jose replaced Owings and walked a batter before giving up his first home run of the season. Jose finished with three runs allowed on one hit and four walks over one and a third innings of work. Will Locante pitched the final inning of the game for the Bears and gave up one earned run and one unearned run on one hit and one walk.
Both teams had six hits and one error in the game. Leading the way for the Bears was Kevin Medrano, who went 2-for-4. Joe Loftus and Wagner Mateo each hit a double in the game.
The AquaSox now hold a 2-0 lead over the Bears in the five-game series. Game three is scheduled for 7:05 Friday night in Everett. Left-handed pitcher Daniel Watts is the probable pitcher for the Bears, while right-handed pitcher Victor Sanchez is expected to go for the AquaSox.
• Discuss this story on the Northwest League message board...
Northwest League Stories from August 24, 2012
- Bob Richmond to Step Down as NWL President - Boise Hawks
- Tonight's Family Feast Game Sold Out - Spokane Indians
- C's Climb Back From Six Down To Top Boise - Vancouver Canadians
- Canadians Rally Past Hawks - Boise Hawks
- Bob Richmond Set to Retire at End of Year - Salem-Keizer Volcanoes
- Bob Richmond Set to Retire at End of Year - Vancouver Canadians
- Military & Teacher Appreciation Night with the Boise Hawks - Boise Hawks
- Zorrilla's Homer Lifts Sox Past Bears, 6-1 - Everett AquaSox
- Eugene Outduels Tri-City - Tri-City Dust Devils
- Boise wins over Vancouver - Boise Hawks
- Vancouver falls victim to Boise 11-5 - Vancouver Canadians
- Jose's first slip up in months costs Bears - Yakima Bears
- Valdespina Vexes Volcanoes in 3-0 Spokane Victory - Spokane Indians
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.