Joe Chealey Undergoes Successful Surgery
The Charlotte Hornets announced today that two-way guard Joe Chealey underwent successful surgery to address a meniscus tear in his left knee. The surgery was performed by Dr. Marcus Cook of Novant Health Perry & Cook Orthopedics & Sports Medicine in Charlotte, North Carolina. Chealey suffered the injury to his left knee in the third quarter of the Greensboro Swarm's home game against the Windy City Bulls on March 9. Chealey will miss the remainder of the season and additional updates on his status will be provided when appropriate.
Chealey is in his first season as a two-way player with Charlotte and Greensboro. The College of Charleston product appeared in 43 games (38 starts) with the NBA G League affiliate of the Hornets, averaging 16.3 points, 5.4 assists, 3.6 rebounds and 1.0 steals in 31.3 minutes per game. Per his status as a two-way player, Chealey was transferred to the Hornets on one occasion. He made his NBA debut at the Boston Celtics on January 30, scoring two points and recording an assist in eight minutes.
The Orlando, Florida, native was signed by the Hornets on July 27, 2018, as an undrafted free agent. He appeared in three preseason games with Charlotte, averaging 4.3 points and 1.0 assists per game. Chealey was also a member of the Hornets' 2018 MGM Resorts NBA Summer League team.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from March 18, 2019
- Blue Coats Stopped by Charge - Delaware Blue Coats
- Two-Way Players Propel Drive to Win over Wisconsin - Grand Rapids Drive
- Charge Win Third Straight - Canton Charge
- South Bay Lakers Acquire Wes Van Beck - South Bay Lakers
- Joe Chealey Undergoes Successful Surgery - Greensboro Swarm
- Scott Machado Named NBA G League Player of the Week - South Bay Lakers
- Westchester Knicks Waive Buay Tuach - Westchester Knicks
- Heat Recall Cooke from Skyforce - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Mad Ants Announce Bobblehead Giveaway on Saturday, March 23 - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Greensboro Swarm Stories
- Greensboro Swarm Announce 2019-20 Theme and Promotion Schedule
- Greensboro Swarm Acquires Returning Player Rights to Joel Berry II from South Bay Lakers
- Greensboro Swarm Complete Trade with Canton Charge
- Charlotte Hornets Sign Ahmed Hill to Two-Way Contract
- Greensboro Swarm Announce 2019-20 Schedule