Jeremy Hall's second-half penalty kick gives Republic FC all three points against OCSC
SACRAMENTO, Calif. - Sacramento Republic FC complete their season series against Orange County SC with a 1-0 victory at home on Saturday night. A penalty kick goal from Jeremy Hall and Josh Cohen's third shutout of the season-his second against OCSC-earned Sacramento all three points.
The home side thought they had taken the lead in the 27th minute after Cameron Iwasa was able to get on the end of a free kick from Jure Matjasic. The goal was disallowed, however, as Iwasa was called for a hand ball.
Orange County SC's best chance came from Nansel Selbol in the 53rd minute. Forward Thomas Enevoldsen was able to hold up play before sending a long through ball across the pitch to spring Selbol one-on-one against Cohen. The Sacramento keeper came off his line and did well to force Selbol's shot wide of goal.
Republic FC scored just a few moments later after Villyan Bijev was brought down in the box and awarded a penalty kick. Jeremy Hall calmly stepped up to the spot and tucked a his shot into the bottom left corner of the net to beat OC keeper Andre Rawls and give Sacramento the 1-0 lead.
Orange County could not find the equalizer as they finished the match with 10-men after Joe Amico was shown his second yellow card in stoppage time. Sacramento took the 1-0 victory, their second such win over Orange County this year.
Republic FC next host MLS side Seattle Sounders FC in U.S. Open Cup play on Wednesday, June 6. Sacramento will then return to USL next weekend against Phoenix Rising FC.
Sacramento Republic FC 1 - 0 Orange County SC
Papa Murphy's Park - Sacramento, CA
June 2, 2018
Attendance: 11,569 (sellout)
Scoring Summary: SAC - Jeremy Hall 58.
Misconduct Summary: OC - Koji Hashimoto (caution) 10, Joe Amico (caution) 26, Owusu-Ansah Kontor (caution) 32, Thomas Juel-Nielsen (caution) 90, Joe Amico (caution + ejection) 90; SAC - Josh Turnley (caution) 80, Adam Moffat (caution) 81
Orange County SC - Andre Rawls, Joe Amico, Owusu-Ansah Kontor, Thomas Juel-Nielsen, Walker Hume, Christian Duke (Giovanni Godoy 78), Koji Hashimoto (Richard Chaplow 56), Aodhan Quinn, Mats Bjurman (Michael Seaton 46), Thomas Enevoldsen.
Subs Not Used: Amirgy Pineda, Noah Powder, Casey Bayers, Nicolás Czornomaz.
Stats: Shots: 13, Shots on Goal: 4, Saves: 3, Fouls: 16, Corner Kicks: 6, Offside: 5.
Sacramento Republic FC - Josh Cohen, Shannon Gomez, Mitchell Taintor, Carlos Rodriguez, Josh Turnley (Justin Schmidt 85), Jaime Villarreal, Jeremy Hall, Wilson Kneeshaw, Villyan Bijev (Luis Espino 74), Jure Matjasic (Adam Moffat 73), Cameron Iwasa.
Subs Not Used: Rafael Diaz, Christian Eissele, Elliott Hord, Cole Seiler.
Stats: Shots: 11, Shots on Goal: 4, Saves: 4, Fouls: 10, Corner Kicks: 3, Offside: 2.
Images from this story
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from June 3, 2018
- Real Monarchs SLC Host Rio Grande Valley FC Toros for "Monarchs Family Monday" - Real Monarchs SLC
- Lights FC Offense Comes Alive in Earning 4-1 Home Victory over Switchbacks FC, and a Unique Bonus - Las Vegas Lights FC
- Jeremy Hall's second-half penalty kick gives Republic FC all three points against OCSC - Sacramento Republic FC
- Roughnecks Control Play But Lose in LA - Tulsa Roughnecks FC
- Switchbacks Lose to Las Vegas 4-1 on the Road - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- Chaney Nets First Career Goal as Zorros Rout Sounders 2 - Fresno FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Sacramento Republic FC Stories
- Republic FC Sign Polish Playmaker Dariusz Formella
- Republic FC Defeat Club America U-20 in An International Friendly
- Republic FC Defeats Portland Timbers 2 1-0 at Home
- Republic FC Invites Local Artists to Submit Designs for 2nd Annual 'Paint the Park' Contest
- Sacramento Republic FC Falls to Foxes