Jamaica Names Houston Dash Forward Kayla McCoy to 2019 FIFA Women's World Cup Preliminary Roster
HOUSTON - Houston Dash forward Kayla McCoy was named to the Jamaican Women's National Team preliminary roster for the 2019 FIFA Women's World Cup by head coach Hue Menzies, the Jamaica Football Federation announced today.
McCoy and Jamaica are set to make their first World Cup appearance this summer. The Reggae Girlz will see their first action in the tournament on June 9 against Group C contender Brazil at Stade des Alpes in Grenoble, France. Four days later, Jamaica will face Italy at Stade Auguste-Delaune II in Reims. They will close group play against Australia on June 18 in Stade des Alpes.
Jamaica qualified for the World Cup for the first time in the nation's history and became the first Caribbean nation to qualify for a senior FIFA Women's World Cup. They punched their ticket to France by defeating Panama in a penalty shootout in the third-place match of the 2018 CONCACAF Women's Championship. McCoy made her national team debut with Jamaica in a 1-0 victory against Chile on February 28 this year, and also started for the Dash in her first NWSL game appearance against Chicago last Sunday. The forward was drafted by the Dash as the 18th overall pick in the 2019 NWSL College Draft after completing a successful career at Duke University.
At Duke, McCoy scored 38 goals and had 17 assists in four seasons, including double-digit goal totals as a junior and senior. McCoy was a semifinalist for the Hermann Trophy as a senior when she scored 12 goals and added eight assists in 22 games for the Blue Devils.
McCoy joined the national team on May 20 following Sunday's Dash home game against the Chicago Red Stars.
Jamaica v. Brazil
Sunday, June 9 - 8:30 a.m. CST
Stade des Alpes, Grenoble
Jamaica v. Italy
Friday, June 14 - 11 a.m. CST
Stade Auguste-Delaune II, Reims
Australia v. Jamaica
Tuesday, June 18 - 2 p.m. CST
Stade des Alpes, Grenoble
• Discuss this story on the National Women's Soccer League message board...
National Women's Soccer League Stories from May 22, 2019
- Sky Blue FC Expands Partnership with New Jersey Youth Soccer - Sky Blue FC
- Reign FC Sign Goalkeeper Scout Watson - OL Reign
- Jamaica Names Houston Dash Forward Kayla McCoy to 2019 FIFA Women's World Cup Preliminary Roster - Houston Dash
- Goalkeeper Michelle Betos Placed on Season-Ending Injury List - OL Reign
- Reign FC Announce Open Training Session in Seattle - OL Reign
- Houston Dash Defender Ari Romero Called to Mexican Women's National Team for Two Friendlies - Houston Dash
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Houston Dash Stories
- Houston Dynamo Football Club and Houston Dash Unveil New Club Initiatives, Brand Identity and Primary Badges
- Dash and Head Coach James Clarkson agree to new contract
- Dash FW Rachel Daly Called up by England for October Friendly vs. Germany
- Dash close NWSL Fall Series with 2-1 win over Orlando Pride
- Three Points: Dash Visit Orlando Pride for Final Match of 2020 Verizon Community Shield on Friday