Sky Blue FC Expands Partnership with New Jersey Youth Soccer
Howell, N.J. - Sky Blue FC of the National Women's Soccer League (NWSL) announced today that the club is renewing its partnership with New Jersey Youth Soccer, an affiliate of U.S. Youth Soccer and the United States Soccer Federation. The partnership showcases a continued commitment to the growth of the game of soccer throughout New Jersey and increased exposure for the women's professional game.
"As I've recently moved into this role, an important first step for me was to recommit and refresh our relationship with New Jersey Youth Soccer," stated Sky Blue General Manager Alyse LaHue. "They are a crucial partner for us as we transition forward and I'm excited by the conversations and the willingness to explore new initiatives that will have an affect particularly on women and girls in soccer in the state of New Jersey."
Sky Blue FC and NJYS will be working together on multiple collaborations throughout the season to contribute to the growth of the game, including Sky Blue FC player appearances at NJYS events, participation in the NJYS Awards Banquet, involvement at TOPSoccer events, and several group appearances at Sky Blue FC home games this season including the following dates:
May 25 - Night of Champions (Celebration of the U11/U14 NJYS State Cup Champions)
June 22 - Olympic Development Program Night
June 22 - Night of Champions (Celebration of the U15/U19 NJYS State Cup Champions)
September 7 - TOPSoccer Night
September 15 - NJ Youth Soccer Night
Both groups are also exploring initiatives to recruit and retain women at all levels of the game including coaching, refereeing, and administrative roles, as well as off-field initiatives around leadership and motivation for retaining youth girls' players to stay in the game.
"We are very pleased to renew our partnership with Sky Blue FC and to continue our support of the professional women's game," said Evelyn Gill, President of NJ Youth Soccer. "The women of Sky Blue FC and the National Women's Soccer League serve as tremendous role models for young athletes everywhere, both on and off the playing field. We have great pride in Sky Blue FC being a professional representative of New Jersey, and we look forward to continuing our relationship with them for many years to come."
On May 11th, Sky Blue FC defender Mandy Freeman attended the Young Olympians Festival and spoke to a group of young girls about her experiences in soccer and provided advice on the importance of hard work and perseverance. The Young Olympians program, designed specifically for players born in 2008 and 2009, is an introductory stage for those who aspire to play at a high level and provides a path to participate in the Olympic Development Program (ODP).
"I loved speaking with the girls participating in the festival. For being so young they had great questions about my career playing soccer and what it's like being a professional," Said Sky Blue FC Defender Mandy Freeman. "What surprised me the most were how many questions they had about my favorite subjects in school and what it takes to succeed in the classroom. It's amazing that at their age they're already thinking about how to be the best player on and off the field."
• Discuss this story on the National Women's Soccer League message board...
National Women's Soccer League Stories from May 22, 2019
- Sky Blue FC Expands Partnership with New Jersey Youth Soccer - Sky Blue FC
- Reign FC Sign Goalkeeper Scout Watson - OL Reign
- Jamaica Names Houston Dash Forward Kayla McCoy to 2019 FIFA Women's World Cup Preliminary Roster - Houston Dash
- Goalkeeper Michelle Betos Placed on Season-Ending Injury List - OL Reign
- Reign FC Announce Open Training Session in Seattle - OL Reign
- Houston Dash Defender Ari Romero Called to Mexican Women's National Team for Two Friendlies - Houston Dash
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Sky Blue FC Stories
- Sky Blue FC Forward Paige Monaghan to Host Charity Auction for Hometown Social Services
- Sky Blue FC Defender Midge Purce Named to USWNT Training Camp Roster for Friendly against the Netherlands
- Sky Blue FC Defender Kaleigh Riehl and Midfielder Jennifer Cudjoe Selected by Racing Louisville FC in 2020 Expansion Draft
- Sky Blue FC Announces End of Year Roster Statuses Entering 2020-21 Offseason
- Sky Blue FC Forward Paige Monaghan Named Budweiser Woman of the Week