Jahlil Mathis-Ellis Signs with Philadelphia Soul
Judging by the Green Bay Blizzard's current 5-2 record, it appears that first-year general manager and head coach Corey Roberson has significantly upgraded the team's ability level compared to recent seasons.
With that infusion of fresh talent comes renewed interest in Green Bay players from higher-paying, higher-profile leagues - along with the distinct possibility that the Blizzard will lose players in-season.
Roberson has announced that starting center Jahlil Mathis-Ellis, a 6-2, 320-pound rookie out of Texas Southern University, has signed with the Philadelphia Soul of the Arena Football League. Mathis-Ellis, showing his loyalty to the Blizzard, played in last week's win over Quad Cities after agreeing to terms with the AFL team. He did that to give Roberson time to sign a replacement.
"As a rookie, Jahlil was one of the best centers in the league, and absolutely anchored our offensive line," said Roberson. "He was extremely dedicated to us, and played very well, which we appreciate. As a result, he was noticed."
Indoor Football League players have stipulations in their contracts that allow them to leave in-season for teams in the Arena Football League, Canadian Football League and the NFL.
"We are a true developmental league," Roberson explained. "We provide our players with a great platform, and allow them to audition for better opportunities. The better they perform for us, and the harder they play, the more attention they will receive.
"We hate to lose Jahlil, but we are very happy for him, and wish him nothing but the best. He deserves this opportunity."
Images from this story
Green Bay Blizzard center Jahlil Mathis-Ellis
• Discuss this story on the Indoor Football League message board...
Indoor Football League Stories from April 17, 2019
- Week 9 Preview: Green Bay Travels to Nebraska - Green Bay Blizzard
- Game Preview: Iowa Barnstormers at Sioux Falls Storm - Iowa Barnstormers
- River Kings Look to Break Skid against Winless Bismarck - Cedar Rapids River Kings
- San Diego Strike Force Kicker Ernesto Lacayo Named Special Teams Player of the Week - San Diego Strike Force
- IFL Week 8 Players of the Week Announced - IFL
- Jahlil Mathis-Ellis Signs with Philadelphia Soul - Green Bay Blizzard
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.