Jacks Snap Skid with 4-3 Shootout Win
LAREDO, TX - Matt Gens scored in round five of the shootout to close a 4-3 win for the Odessa Jackalopes (20-21-5) over the Laredo Bucks (16-22-7) on Thursday at Laredo Energy Arena. The shootout win snaps Odessa's six-game losing skid and closes out their season series with four wins against the Bucks out of six meetings this year.
The extra time was needed after Laredo's Jeff Bes tied the game midway through the third period on a 2-on-0 rush with Neil Trimm for his 18th of the year and second of the game.
Kenny Corupe gave Odessa a 3-2 lead 4:31 in the third period after scoring on a rebound to the right side of the crease.
The rest of the game's scoring took place in period one as Benjamin Dieude-Fauvel scored a power play goal from the right circle 2:58 into the contest. Sebastien Thinel tied it up less than a minute later when his centering pass from the right-wing boards deflected of a Laredo stick for a man-advantage score.
Bes made it a 2-1 game with his first of the contest at 8:35 on a wrist-shot from the slot. Mark Ehl netted his second of the year for the Jacks off a loose puck between the circles in the Laredo zone with 5:21 to play in the opening period for a 2-2 score.
David McKee made 34 saves for the Jackalopes in the win, while Torrie Jung stopped 27 for the Bucks.
The game was played at 11:00 AM due to a Kids' Day promotion done by Laredo for the contest.
Odessa continues their road trip with a weekend set at Allen starting Friday at 7:30 PM CST. The action can be heard on Classic Rock 102.1 FM.
The Odessa Jackalopes are the Central Hockey League affiliate for the NHL's New York Islanders and the AHL's Bridgeport Sound Tigers. The team is currently in the middle of its 14th season. Season tickets, mini-plans, and single game tickets are available by calling (432) 552-7825 or visiting jackalopes.org.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from February 10, 2011
- Mavericks Sign Forward Brandon Coccimiglio - Kansas City Mavericks
- Thunder Signs Beech to Five-Game Contract - Wichita Thunder
- Jacks Snap Skid with 4-3 Shootout Win - Odessa Jackalopes
- Dayton Gems Holding Shootout Between WSU and UD Club Ice Hockey Teams - Dayton Gems
- Bucks Fall in Shootout, 4-3 - Laredo Bucks
- Oilers Gear Up For Key Weekend - Tulsa Oilers
- PrairieThunder Weekend Preview - Bloomington PrairieThunder
- Big Games for Brahmas this Weekend - Fort Worth Brahmas
- RiverKings to Support American Cancer Society - Mississippi RiverKings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.