Jackalopes Raise Over $8,000 for Shriners' Hospitals
(Odessa, TX) - Along with closing their regular season with weekend games against Laredo and Rapid City, the Odessa Jackalopes also capped things off by raising over $8,000 for Shriners' Hospitals in the team's first ever "Shriners Weekend" event.
Jackalopes players wore specialty Shriners jerseys during the weekend games that were autographed and auctioned off after the team's last game against Rapid City. There were also displays and donations made by fans throughout the concourse of the Ector County Coliseum over the two-day event.
"This is something that we had high expectations for and it didn't disappoint," said General Manager Joe Clark. "We saved this event specifically for the final weekend because we wanted to close our (regular) season on a very high note. The Shriners organization, the community, and everyone involved did a wonderful job and we hope to do it again next season."
The specialty jersey weekend was Odessa's third involving a local charity. The final tally was $8,687 raised for the Shriners during the event.
The Jackalopes meet the Texas Brahmas on Wednesday night for game three of their Southern Conference Semifinal series. Texas currently holds a 2-0 advantage in the series. The game starts at 7:05 PM and can be heard on Classic Rock 102.1 FM.
The Odessa Jackalopes are the Central Hockey League affiliate for the NHL's New York Islanders and the AHL's Bridgeport Sound Tigers. The team is in the middle of their 13th season in the Permian Basin. Season tickets, mini-plans, and single game tickets are available by calling (432) 552-PUCK or visiting jackalopes.org.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from March 30, 2010
- 'Bugs Win Game 3, Lead Series 3-0 - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Allen Takes 2-1 Series Lead In 4-1 Victory Over Bucks - Allen Americans
- Bucks Fall 4-1, Trail Series 2-1 - Laredo Bucks
- Mudbugs Take 3-0 Series Lead With 3-1 Win - Colorado Eagles
- Dumont Among Year End Performance Nominees - Mississippi RiverKings
- Bourbeau Returns to Jacks from AHL - Odessa Jackalopes
- CHL Performance of the Year Finalists Announced - CHL
- Record Six Power-Play Goals, One Shorthanded Tally Voted CHL Performance of the Week - Arizona Sundogs
- Rushette Named Miss Rapid City - Rapid City Rush
- Jackalopes Raise Over $8,000 for Shriners' Hospitals - Odessa Jackalopes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.