Jackalopes Hold Off IceRays 4-3
Juha Toivonen made 37 saves and four different Odessa Jackalopes scored as the Jackalopes beat the Corpus Christi IceRays 4-3 at the American Bank Center Thursday night. After falling behind early the IceRays kept inching closer to the Jacks, only to have Odessa pull away. Chad Costello's three-point effort was not enough for the Rays who fell to 2-3-2 on the season. Odessa improved their CHL leading record to 6-1-1 and their unbeaten streak to six games. The IceRays will return to the American Bank Center on Friday night to host the Allen Americans at 7:05pm. For more information, please call the IceRays at 361.814.PUCK or visit them online at www.goicerays.com.
Odessa jumped onto the scoreboard early when Kory Karlander's shot from the left circle hit Kevin Desfosses and bounced in behind him at 2:25 to make it 1-0 Jacks. Odessa increased their lead when Kenny Bernard broke into the zone held off two IceRays and slipped the puck past Desfosses on a power play at 9:19. The IceRays made a goaltending change as Desfosses was pulled in favor of Kris Tebbs following the goal. Corpus Christi then inched within one when Chris Richards sprung Chad Costello on a breakaway and Costello deked out Juha Toivonen to get the IceRays on the board at 13:06. The goal was Costello's second in as many games since signing with the Rays. But the Jacks extended the lead back to a pair at 3-1 when Paul Kelly made a beautiful move around Jeff Alcombrack into the IceRays zone and snapped a shot past Tebbs at 17:43. The IceRays outshot the Jacks 13-11 in the period.
In the second period the IceRays special teams took center stage. Corpus Christi's penalty killing stopped five chances for Odessa including a pair of two-man advantages, and then the power play struck to get the IceRays back within a goal. Costello set up forward Chad Woollard at the right circle where Woollard blasted a one-timer through Toivonen at 15:39. The goal was the first of the year for Woollard who was in his season debut after starting the year on the IR. The score remained 3-2 for the rest of the period, and the Rays outshot the Jacks 16-11 in the period.
The Jacks extended the lead to 4-2 on a power play in the third when Jeff Pierce scored on a one-timer from the right circle at 6:52. The IceRays answered 32 seconds later when Kyle Peto scored from the slot to get back within a goal at 4-3. Corpus Christi searched for the equalizer on a two-man advantage for 1:48 later in the period, but Toivonen and the Jacks stood strong down the stretch, and hung on for the win.
Kris Tebbs (1-1-2) took the loss making 17 saves on 19 shots in relief. Desfosses made five saves on seven shots and didn't figure into the decision. Toivonen (4-0) earned the win stopping 37 of 40 shots. The IceRays power play went 1-7 and the Jackalopes went 2-8. The IceRays outshot the Jacks 40-26 in the game.
The IceRays return to the American Bank Center on Friday night at 7:05pm on Scout Night as they host the Allen Americans. The IceRays will be celebrating the Boy Scouts of America 100th Anniversary. The IceRays will wear decorative Scout jerseys that will be auctioned off to fans at the game. Plus, all Friday games this season are Frosty Friday's. That means half-price sodas and half-priced 24 oz domestic beers at the game. Tickets are available at all Ticketmaster outlets or the American Bank Center Box Office. For more information, please call the IceRays at 814.PUCK or visit them online at www.goicerays.com.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from November 5, 2009
- Jacks Hold On For 4-3 Win Over IceRays - Odessa Jackalopes
- Jackalopes Hold Off IceRays 4-3 - Corpus Christi IceRays
- CHL Names Hisey The Sher-Wood/TPS Player Of The Month - Tulsa Oilers
- Mudbugs To Face Jackalopes Twice At CTC This Weekend - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Tulsa's Rob Hisey Wins Sher-Wood/TPS CHL Player Of The Month - CHL
- Odessa Tops Yellowbook CHL Coaches Poll - CHL
- Gorillas Sign Beeman, Host Two This Weekend - Amarillo Gorillas
- Eagles Introduce "Pay It Forward" Program - Colorado Eagles
- Bucks Community Update - Laredo Bucks
- Former Sundogs Defenseman David Schlemko Recalled By Phoenix Coyotes - Arizona Sundogs
- Mavericks Add Schwartzbauer, Waive Bowles - Kansas City Mavericks
- Dube To Host "Bucks Insider" Saturday On Fox 39 - Laredo Bucks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Corpus Christi IceRays Stories
- Don'T Forget About Justin Quenneville's Retirement Party Tonight
- IceRays Host Street Hockey Challenge
- IceRays Season Ends With 2-0 Loss At Texas
- IceRays Fall 5-4 In Overtime To Brahmas, Trail Series 1-0
- IceRays Beat Killer Bees 6-3 In Regular Season Finale