Jackalopes Beat IceRays 4-1
Power plays once again were the difference as the Odessa Jackalopes topped the Corpus Christi IceRays 4-1 at the Ector County Coliseum on Friday night. Three of the four Odessa goals came on the power play in the win. The IceRays loss dropped their record to 17-21-4 on the season and was their third straight defeat following a season-long winning streak. The IceRays remained in sixth place in the Southern Conference but retained a game in hand over Arizona. The Jacks win was their sixth straight as they retained their one point lead over Texasw for first place in the Southern Conference. Corpus Christi will complete the weekend with a visit to Laredo on Saturday Night. For more information on the IceRays, please call 361-814-PUCK or visit them online at www.ccrayz.com.
The Jackalopes scored the lone goal of the first period on a power play when Mario Joly tipped a puck through Kris Tebbs from the top of the crease at 10:58. The Jacks took a 1-0 lead into the intermission break after the IceRays outshot the Jackalopes 8-4 in the period.
Odessa upped their lead to 2-0 on another power play goal at 6:09 of the second. The Jacks stole the puck behind the IceRays net and fed Colin Circelli in the slot where he was able to lift a puck past Tebbs to give the Jackalopes a two-goal lead. The IceRays came back and cut the deficit to one when Chris Richards scored his team leading 25th goal from the slot at 14:18 to make the score 2-1. With the goal Richards also extended his season long point streak to eight games.
The Jackalopes added two goals in the third period. Dominic Leveille scored at 5:41 for the only Jacks even strength goal and then Sebastien Thinel scored a power play marker at 7:06 to cap the scoring.
Kris Tebbs (13-13-3) took the loss making 27 saves on 31 shots. Jeremy Symington (6-1-1) earned the win making 21 saves on 22 shots. The IceRays power play went 0-4 while the Jackalopes went 3-9 on the man advantage. The IceRays were outshot by the Jacks 31-22.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from January 30, 2009
- Special Teams Struggles Spell Disaster for Arizona in 6-3 Loss - Arizona Sundogs
- Rage Taste Victory in Arizona...Finally - Rocky Mountain Rage
- Bucks Hang On For 3-2 Win - Laredo Bucks
- First Period Burst Leads Eagles Past Scorps - Colorado Eagles
- K.C.'s Help Mudbugs Slow the Rush - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Eagles Fly Past Scorpions - New Mexico Scorpions
- Gorillas tap third period well, beat Oilers 2-1 - Amarillo Gorillas
- Jaeger Salves, Deitsch Delivers - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Brahmas Beat RiverKings in OT, 3-2 - Mississippi RiverKings
- Jackalopes Beat IceRays 4-1 - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Thunder Lose Classic in OT - Wichita Thunder
- Tulsa Oilers Weekend Broadcasts - Tulsa Oilers
- Shots from the Point - CHL
- Bucks, Bees Go Again Tonight At LEC - Laredo Bucks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Corpus Christi IceRays Stories
- Don'T Forget About Justin Quenneville's Retirement Party Tonight
- IceRays Host Street Hockey Challenge
- IceRays Season Ends With 2-0 Loss At Texas
- IceRays Fall 5-4 In Overtime To Brahmas, Trail Series 1-0
- IceRays Beat Killer Bees 6-3 In Regular Season Finale