Islanders Select Two Czech Forwards in 2020 CHL Import Draft
The 2020 CHL Import Draft was held today and the Charlottetown Islanders added some Czech flavour to their lineup.
The Isles used both their picks in the two-round draft for just the second time in team history and selected left winger Jakub Brabenec and right winger Matous Mensik, both natives of the Czech Republic.
Brabenec was selected with the 35th selection of the Import Draft. The 6'0 forward played in the HC Kometo Brno system last season, splitting time between the U-16, U-20, and Czech2 levels. With the U-16 team, Brabenec recorded an impressive 12 goals and 34 points in 15 games, while also recording four goals and 16 points in 19 games with the Under-18 team. Brabenec also earned a spot on the Czech Republic's World Under-17 Hockey Challenge team, playing in all six games en route to a bronze medal.
Brabenec's impressive season continued when he earned a call-up as a 16-year-old to Kometo Brno's Extraliga squad, only the fifth player his age to manage the feat this season. He scored a goal for Brno during his call-up, one of just two players to manage the feat.
Jakub Brabenec scored the game winning goal for CZE #U17 in yesterday's 2-1 OT win over Slovakia.
Game 2 is scheduled for 5pm CEST today. The stream will be here: https://t.co/dbjqoA2kQr pic.twitter.com/Igev8ZavET
- Czech Prospects (@CZprospects) September 17, 2019
"I am truly happy and thankful to be able to join the Islanders family," said Brabenec on his selection. I'll do everything that I can to be the best on and off the ice. I am so excited to start a new chapter in my life in Charlottetown."
Mensik, who turns 17 in July, is a 6'2, 195 pound right winger who spent this season playing in Karpat, Finland at the Under-18 level. The big forward put up 16 points in 34 games.
Matous Mensik's breakaway goal from yesterday's game against Germany. Great pass by defenseman Matej Pinkas.
Mensik (@OulunKarpatFi) has scored in all 4 games he's played for #U17 national team this season. pic.twitter.com/oUnZh5OjkK
- Czech Prospects (@CZprospects) August 14, 2019
Like Brabenec, Mensik also played for the Czech U-17 team. In six games, Mensik recorded two goals and four points, good for second on his team.
"We're very happy to add both Jakub and Matous to our team," said Islanders head coach and general manager Jim Hulton on the team's two new forwards. "Jakub is a highly skilled, offensive player with a big upside. Matous is a big, strong power forward who already plays a North American style of game. Both players add value now and in the future."
Hulton also added that both players have confirmed they will report to Charlottetown for training camp this season.
From everyone here at the Islanders organization, we welcome Jakub Brabenec and Matous Mensik to Charlottetown!
• Discuss this story on the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League message board...
Quebec Major Junior Hockey League Stories from June 30, 2020
- Sea Dogs Select Svechkov, Hampl in CHL Import Draft - Saint John Sea Dogs
- Islanders Select Two Czech Forwards in 2020 CHL Import Draft - Charlottetown Islanders
- QMJHL teams select 18 players in 2020 CHL Import Draft - QMJHL
- Wildcats Select Barbashev, Usnik in 2020 CHL Import Draft - Moncton Wildcats
- Eagles Select Mikhail Nizovkin in CHL Import Draft - Cape Breton Eagles
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Charlottetown Islanders Stories
- Islanders Select Two Czech Forwards in 2020 CHL Import Draft
- Islanders Select Two Forwards in the 2020 QMJHL American Draft
- 14 Players Selected by Islanders in 2020 QMJHL Draft
- Islanders Acquire All-Star Netminder Colten Ellis
- Islanders Complete Trade with Phoenix