Iowa Loses to Manitoba 4-3
WINNIPEG, MANITOBA - Iowa Wild (17-13-6-3; 43 points) fell to ManitobaMoose (26-8-3-2; 57 pts.) 3-2 at MTS Bell Place Sunday afternoon. Wild goaltender Niklas Svedberg (33 saves) made his first start since Dec. 15 in the loss.
Manitoba scored the first goal of the game just 1:19 into the first period, when defenseman Peter Stoykewych took a shot from the blue line. His shot deflected off Svedberg's glove, bounced off forward Buddy Robinson and into the back of the net. Stoykewych added a power-play goal to his assist at 5:06 in the first period to double Manitoba's lead. Stoykewych one-timed a pass from the right point and beat Svedberg glove side for the 2-0 advantage.
Wild forward Sam Anas cut into the Moose's lead when he potted his 14th goal of the season. On the power-play, defenseman Zach Palmquist fed forward Cal O'Reilly the puck on the point, who rifled a shot on net. O'Reilly's shot ricocheted off the cross-bar and right to Anas at the back door. With a wide open net, Anas buried the rebound, recording the Wild's 10th consecutive road game with a power-play goal.
At the end of the first period, Manitoba led 2-1 with a 14-3 shot advantage. All three goals in the frame were power-play goals. The Moose regained a two-goal lead when Manitoba forward Francis Beauvillier scored his first of the season. On a 2-on-1, forward Michael Spacek sent a pass to Beauvillier and he lofted the puck over Svedberg's glove to take a 3-1 lead.
Wild forward Zach Mitchell scored his first goal since being reassigned to Iowa at 16:28 in the second period. Wild forward Christoph Bertschy sprung Mitchell with a lead pass and Mitchell snuck his shot through Moose goaltender Eric Comrie's (18 saves) legs for the breakaway goal. After two periods, the Moose led 3-2.
The score held through the third period and when the final horn sounded, the Wild dropped the game 3-2 and were outshot 36-20. In the loss, O'Reilly recorded a point in his third consecutive game, registering seven points (2g, 5a) during that stretch. Anas added a goal to extend his point streak to four games, recording seven points (3g, 4a) in those contests.
The Wild returns home to Wells Fargo Arena for a three-game home stretch starting Wednesday. The home stand kicks off with a 7:00 p.m. puck drop against Chicago Wolves.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 15, 2018
- San Antonio Reassigns Forward Thomas Frazee to Norfolk Admirals - San Antonio Rampage
- Phantoms Win Wild Overtime Thriller at Hershey - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Iowa Loses to Manitoba 3-2 - Iowa Wild
- Iowa Loses to Manitoba 4-3 - Iowa Wild
- San Antonio Splits Weekend Series with Milwaukee After 3-1 Victory - San Antonio Rampage
- Manitoba Moose Recap: Iowa 2 at Manitoba 3 - Manitoba Moose
- T-Birds Fly Past P-Bruins After Three-Goal Second Period - Providence Bruins
- San Antonio Recalls Forwards J.C. Beaudin and Shawn St. Amant From - San Antonio Rampage
- LA Kings Kings Recall Forward Jonny Brodzinski from Ontario - Ontario Reign
- Winnipeg Jets Release - Jets Reassign Hutchinson, Lemieux And - Manitoba Moose
- Sound Tigers Recall Jones, Cornell from ECHL - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Hogs Extend Point Streak in Last-Second OT Loss to Condors - Rockford IceHogs
- Condors Down Rockford in Overtime, 3-2 - Bakersfield Condors
- POSTGAME - San Diego 2 vs. Tucson 4 - San Diego Gulls
- Reign Mist Wolves to Split Season Series - Chicago Wolves
- Crunch Shutout Amerks, 4-0 - Syracuse Crunch
- Cleveland's Korpisalo Cools off Griffins - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Game Recap: Amerks Come up Empty-Handed in Syracuse - Rochester Americans
- Tokarski (29 Saves) Backstops 2-1 Win over Rival Hershey - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- CLEVELAND MONSTERS: Monsters Cap Lengthy Road Trip with 2-1 Win Over - Cleveland Monsters
- Recap - Sound Tigers 2, Bruins 1 (SO) - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- WOLF PACK GAME RECAP - Belleville Senators 4, Hartford Wolf Pack 2 - Hartford Wolf Pack
- COMRIE'S 3-POINT NIGHT CASTS OUT DEVILS IN OT - Utica Comets
- Sound Tigers Bite Bruins in Shootout 2-1 - Providence Bruins
- GAME RECAP: Checkers Run out of Gas in 3-1 Loss to Marlies - Charlotte Checkers
- RECAP: Penguins' Pedan Scores Hat Trick in 4-3 Win over Rocket - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Manitoba Moose Recap: Iowa 5 at Manitoba 4 - Manitoba Moose
- Dominic Turgeon Recalled by Detroit - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Canucks Reassign Nikolay Goldobin to the Utica Comets - Utica Comets
- Iowa Wild Recalls Forward Jack Walker from Rapid City - Iowa Wild
- Rampage Recall Forward Michael Joly from Colorado Eagles - San Antonio Rampage
- Tampa Bay Lightning Reassign Goaltender Louis Domingue to Syracuse - Syracuse Crunch
- Hogs Bury Barracuda, Extend Point Streak to 4 Games - Rockford IceHogs
- Wolves Rally in Third to Clip Condors - Chicago Wolves
- Milwaukee Powers Past San Antonio 4-1 - San Antonio Rampage
- CLEVELAND MONSTERS: Blue Jackets Assign Joonas Korpisalo, Tyler Motte - Cleveland Monsters
- Four-Goal Third Period Sends Amerks to 5-2 Win Over - Rochester Americans
- Griffins Claim Ninth Win in Last 11 Games - Grand Rapids Griffins
- RECAP: Haggerty's Hat Trick Lifts Penguins Past Senators, 6-2 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Iowa Wild Stories
- Iowa Wild Signs Forward Colton Beck to AHL Contract
- Iowa Wild Signs Forwards Gerry Mayhew, Gerry Fitzgerald to AHL Contracts
- Minnesota Wild Re-Signs Forward Sam Anas to Two-Year, Two-Way Contract
- Iowa Closes out Season with 4-2 Win at Milwaukee
- Iowa Shuts out Milwaukee 3-0