T-Birds Fly Past P-Bruins After Three-Goal Second Period
Providence, RI - The Providence Bruins fell to the Springfield Thunderbirds Sunday afternoon 5-2 in the final game of their three-in-three weekend. The P-Bruins got goals from Colton Hargrove and Kenny Agostino while Jordan Binnington made his 14th start of the season in net.
After a slow start for both teams, the end of the first period was action packed with three goals coming in the last three minutes of the period. The Thunderbirds scored the go-ahead goal when Ed Wittchow wristed home a backhand pass from Chase Balisy with 2:21 left before the break. The Bruins responded less than two minutes later through Hargrove, who stole the puck at the Springfield blue line and finished a one on one chance against goaltender Evan Cowley. His ninth goal of the season tied things up 1-1. Agostino added another before the break firing home a slapshot from the circle, after a beautiful feed from Austin Czarnik. His 10th of the year put Providence on top 2-1 entering the intermission.
Springfield tied the game at 11:06 of the second period when Lammikko fired a wrist shot from the right circle over the blocker of Binnington. At 14:25, after collecting a pass from Hawryluk, Max Mamin scored a third goal for the T-Birds from just outside the crease, forcing Providence to make a goalie change and bring Zane McIntyre into the game. Despite physical play from the Bruins, the Thunderbirds were able to notch a fourth goal at 15:40. Dryden Hunt converted, tapping home a rebound in the crease from McIntyre and making it 4-2 Springfield after two periods.
McIntyre settled into the game well, stopping all 12 shots he faced during the period. The Bruins were able to mount some pressure on the Thunderbirds, but with 1:17 to go Hunt scored his second of the game to seal it, sliding the puck into an empty net and giving Springfield a 5-2 win.
Binnington stopped 16 of 19 shots before getting pulled while McIntyre stopped 13 of 14. Cowley stopped 34 of 36 shots in a winning effort. Providence was 1-5 on the power play and 3-3 on the penalty kill.
The Providence Bruins are the American Hockey League affiliate of the NHL's Boston Bruins, playing their home games at the Dunkin' Donuts Center in Providence, RI. Spanning more than 25 years, the Boston/Providence affiliation is one of the longest and most successful player development partnerships in professional hockey history.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 15, 2018
- San Antonio Reassigns Forward Thomas Frazee to Norfolk Admirals - San Antonio Rampage
- Phantoms Win Wild Overtime Thriller at Hershey - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Iowa Loses to Manitoba 3-2 - Iowa Wild
- Iowa Loses to Manitoba 4-3 - Iowa Wild
- San Antonio Splits Weekend Series with Milwaukee After 3-1 Victory - San Antonio Rampage
- Manitoba Moose Recap: Iowa 2 at Manitoba 3 - Manitoba Moose
- T-Birds Fly Past P-Bruins After Three-Goal Second Period - Providence Bruins
- San Antonio Recalls Forwards J.C. Beaudin and Shawn St. Amant From - San Antonio Rampage
- LA Kings Kings Recall Forward Jonny Brodzinski from Ontario - Ontario Reign
- Winnipeg Jets Release - Jets Reassign Hutchinson, Lemieux And - Manitoba Moose
- Sound Tigers Recall Jones, Cornell from ECHL - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Hogs Extend Point Streak in Last-Second OT Loss to Condors - Rockford IceHogs
- Condors Down Rockford in Overtime, 3-2 - Bakersfield Condors
- POSTGAME - San Diego 2 vs. Tucson 4 - San Diego Gulls
- Reign Mist Wolves to Split Season Series - Chicago Wolves
- Crunch Shutout Amerks, 4-0 - Syracuse Crunch
- Cleveland's Korpisalo Cools off Griffins - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Game Recap: Amerks Come up Empty-Handed in Syracuse - Rochester Americans
- Tokarski (29 Saves) Backstops 2-1 Win over Rival Hershey - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- CLEVELAND MONSTERS: Monsters Cap Lengthy Road Trip with 2-1 Win Over - Cleveland Monsters
- Recap - Sound Tigers 2, Bruins 1 (SO) - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- WOLF PACK GAME RECAP - Belleville Senators 4, Hartford Wolf Pack 2 - Hartford Wolf Pack
- COMRIE'S 3-POINT NIGHT CASTS OUT DEVILS IN OT - Utica Comets
- Sound Tigers Bite Bruins in Shootout 2-1 - Providence Bruins
- GAME RECAP: Checkers Run out of Gas in 3-1 Loss to Marlies - Charlotte Checkers
- RECAP: Penguins' Pedan Scores Hat Trick in 4-3 Win over Rocket - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Manitoba Moose Recap: Iowa 5 at Manitoba 4 - Manitoba Moose
- Dominic Turgeon Recalled by Detroit - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Canucks Reassign Nikolay Goldobin to the Utica Comets - Utica Comets
- Iowa Wild Recalls Forward Jack Walker from Rapid City - Iowa Wild
- Rampage Recall Forward Michael Joly from Colorado Eagles - San Antonio Rampage
- Tampa Bay Lightning Reassign Goaltender Louis Domingue to Syracuse - Syracuse Crunch
- Hogs Bury Barracuda, Extend Point Streak to 4 Games - Rockford IceHogs
- Wolves Rally in Third to Clip Condors - Chicago Wolves
- Milwaukee Powers Past San Antonio 4-1 - San Antonio Rampage
- CLEVELAND MONSTERS: Blue Jackets Assign Joonas Korpisalo, Tyler Motte - Cleveland Monsters
- Four-Goal Third Period Sends Amerks to 5-2 Win Over - Rochester Americans
- Griffins Claim Ninth Win in Last 11 Games - Grand Rapids Griffins
- RECAP: Haggerty's Hat Trick Lifts Penguins Past Senators, 6-2 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Providence Bruins Stories
- P-Bruins Regular Season Tickets on Sale Now
- P-Bruins Release 2018-19 Regular Season Schedule
- P-Bruins Announce 2018-19 Home Opener and Preseason Fanfest
- P-Bruins Season Ends in 4-3 Overtime Loss to Phantoms
- Two Goals from Lindblom Lead Phantoms over P-Bruins in Game Three