Iowa Energy Fall in Close Game to Rio Grande Valley
Des Moines, Iowa - The Iowa Energy (5-7) fell to the Rio Grande Valley Vipers (6-9) 120-117 Friday night at Wells Fargo Arena.
The Vipers were led by Christapher Johnson with 23 points, 6 rebounds and 1 assists. Akeem Richmond added 22 points and 4 rebounds. The Energy were led by Damien Wilkins with a game-high 29 points, 7 rebounds and 5 assists. Former Iowa State Cyclone Diante Garrett added 23 points and 7 assists.
The Energy jumped out to a hot start thanks to Malik Smith's three first quarter three-pointers and Kalin Lucas' 11 first quarter points. The Energy held a 31-21 lead after the first quarter. The Energy continued to be hot in the second quarter with two more three-pointers by Smith, taking him to five for the first half. The Energy held a 21-point lead during the second quarter. The Vipers began to chip away at the Energy's lead during the middle of the second quarter. At halftime the Energy held a 63-57 lead.
The Vipers would outscore the Energy 37-28 in the third quarter, taking a 94-91 lead into the fourth quarter. During the fourth quarter, the Vipers would hold a 12-point lead over the Energy. The Energy fought to stay in the game and got the lead down to only three points. In the closing seconds of the game, Iowa had a chance to tie the game on a late three by Damien Wilkins. Wilkins' three was no good in the end and Rio Grande Valley held on to win 120-117.
The Energy play at home again Friday night against the Maine Red Claws at 7pm and Saturday night at 7pm against the Fort Wayne Mad Ants.
Iowa Energy 2014-2015 single game tickets are now on sale starting at just $8. Group tickets, Flex Packs and payment plans are available now. For more information, visit IowaNBA.com or contact the Energy at (515)-564-8550. For more information on the Energy, 'like' the Iowa Energy on Facebook or follow on Twitter (@iowaenergy).
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from December 23, 2014
- Westchester Knicks End Four Game Skid - Westchester Knicks
- Iowa Energy Fall in Close Game to Rio Grande Valley - Iowa Wolves
- Iowa Energy Players to Help Serve Christmas Dinner - Iowa Wolves
- Westchester Knicks Acquire Walker Russell Jr. - Westchester Knicks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Iowa Wolves Stories
- Iowa Unable to Complete Comeback in Season Finale
- Wolves Lock Down in Fourth Quarter to Secure Win over Suns
- Iowa Takes Care of Business in Home Finale against Wisconsin
- Wolves Take Down Spurs in Come-From-Behind Victory
- Road Woes Continue for Iowa in Loss to Long Island