Inter Miami CF to Visit Montreal Impact on Saturday
Inter Miami CF (5-10-3, 18 points) will aim to extend its three match unbeaten run when it travels to face the Montreal Impact (6-10-2, 20 points) on Saturday, Oct. 17, at 7 p.m. ET at Red Bull Arena.
Regional fans will be able to watch the game live on MyTV33, Unimas, the free Inter Miami App, and the Univision 23 App, as well as listen on Spanish radio via Univision Miami's WQBA 1140 AM and the Uforia App. Fans worldwide can also tune in to live commentary on the Club's App. Download and Register your Profile here: https://www.intermiamicf.com/en/club/app.
"We have a lot of hope for what we can do against Montreal. Our team is on the rise and comes into the match doing things well," said manager Diego Alonso. "I see the players doing really well, with a lot of excitement and an urge to continue winning and picking up points."
Inter Miami is coming off of a 1-1 draw at home against Atlanta United FC in which the team extended its unbeaten run to three matches. The game saw versatile Inter Miami player Brek Shea notch his third goal of the season from a Lewis Morgan assist, who recorded his sixth assist and remains the team's top provider while also the top scorer with five goals so far this season. Additionally, the team's latest addition, MLS veteran attacking midfielder Federico HiguaÃn made his debut, coming off the bench in the 87th minute.
Saturday's match at Red Bull Arena will be the first regular season meeting between Inter Miami and the Montreal Impact, which is playing its home games in New York in accordance with MLS travel protocols for the 2020 season. Inter Miami was victorious in its previous 2020 regular season match at Red Bull Arena, overcoming the New York Red Bulls 1-2 on Oct. 7.
In the upcoming match, striker Gonzalo HiguaÃn could face Montreal's Bojan and Victor Wanyama after previously clashing against them during his time in some of the top European leagues. HiguaÃn played against Bojan in two editions of the fierce Real Madrid C.F. vs. FC Barcelona rivalry in 2008 and 2009, registering two goals in said matches. Meanwhile, HiguaÃn's former side Juventus F.C. took on Wanyama's Tottenham Hotspur F.C. in a UEFA Champions League round of 16 match in Feb. 2018, a game which ended 2-2 with the Inter Miami forward scoring a brace. Additionally, as a Real Madrid player HiguaÃn also faced Montreal's manager Thierry Henry four times between 2008 and 2009 during his stint at FC Barcelona, registering two goals.
The matchup could also have reunions on the cards for Inter Miami versatile veteran A.J. DeLaGarza and midfielders Victor Ulloa and Wil Trapp, who could face former teammates Romell Quioto, Maximiliano Urruti and Jukka Raitala respectively. DeLaGarza and Quioto were teammates during their time as Houston Dynamo Players from 2017 to 2019, sharing the field 40 times across all competitions and helping their former side clinch the 2018 U.S. Open Cup title. Ulloa, meanwhile, was teammates with Urruti at FC Dallas from 2016 to 2018, playing 81 matches together and helping their former side win the 2016 Supporters' Shield and the 2016 U.S. Open Cup titles. The pair has also previously faced each other six times in MLS regular season action and once in an MLS playoff match. Lastly, Trapp was teammates with Raitala at Columbus Crew SC in 2017, making 30 appearances together for the team in MLS regular season and playoff games, while they have faced each in the past in four MLS regular season matches.
The Montreal Impact will enter this weekend's matchup at Red Bull Arena following a 2-3 defeat against New England Revolution in its last game, while also failing to record a win in its past five outings at home. Montreal currently sits ninth in the Eastern Conference standings, just two points above Inter Miami, having compiled a record of six wins, ten losses and two draws to date this season. The team has been led by midfielders Quioto, who has registered six goals and four assists so far this season, and Lassi Lappalainen, who has tallied four goals and one assist.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from October 16, 2020
- Eight Minutes of Madness: Nashville SC's First-Half Scoring Burst Leads to Huge Win over Houston - Nashville SC
- MLS Disciplinary Committee Decisions Announced - MLS
- Minnesota United Confirms Negative COVID-19 Test Results - Minnesota United FC
- Atlanta United Launches Unite Youth Cup - Atlanta United FC
- Inter Miami CF to Visit Montreal Impact on Saturday - Inter Miami CF
- Orlando City Forward Matheus Aias Medically Cleared - Orlando City SC
- Doolsta's Back: Nashville SC's Pro FIFA Gamer to Return for Next Season - Nashville SC
- Toronto FC and State of Connecticut Set to Welcome Fans at November 1 Game - Toronto FC
- Preview: Sporting KC Visits Chicago Fire FC on Saturday - Sporting Kansas City
- Philadelphia Union Agree to Record-Breaking Transfer of Homegrown Midfielder Brenden Aaronson to UEFA Champions League Club FC Red Bull Salzburg - Philadelphia Union
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Inter Miami CF Stories
- Inter Miami CF Stadium to Host U.S. Men's National Team vs. El Salvador on December 9
- Kicking off Year Two with Inter Miami CF Academy Presented by Baptist Health
- Alonso and DeLaGarza Thank Fans for Support Throughout Inaugural Season
- Inter Miami CF Closes Inaugural Season with Road Playoff Loss
- Diego Alonso and Wil Trapp Ready for the Challenge