Inter Miami CF Signs Ukrainian International Defender Sergii Kryvtsov
January 31, 2023 - Major League Soccer (MLS) - Inter Miami CF News Release
MIAMI - Inter Miami CF announced today that it has signed Ukrainian international defender Sergii Kryvtsov [Ser-hee Kriv-tsov] from Ukrainian giants FC Shakhtar Donetsk to a contract through the 2024 Major League Soccer (MLS) season, with a Club option for the 2025 campaign. The 31-year-old center back will provide valuable experience to the team's defensive unit after featuring in over 300 professional matches at club and international levels, winning 17 titles in his 13-year-long spell with Shakhtar, while also being named the team's vice-captain during his tenure, and appearing in prestigious competitions such as the UEFA Champions League, UEFA Euros and the UEFA Nations League.
Kryvtsov, who becomes the only active Ukranian player in MLS, joins the Club pending receipt of his International Transfer Certificate (ITC) and P-1 Visa.
"Sergii is a composed defender who will provide valuable experience to our defensive line after many years playing at the highest levels both at the club and international levels; he is a solid defender in the air and possesses strong leadership skills having been vice-captain at his previous club. Sergii is arriving after preseason with Shakhtar Donetsk, so he is ready to get incorporated into the group," said Chief Soccer Officer and Sporting Director Chris Henderson. "We look forward to watching him represent the Inter Miami colors and help the team work towards a successful season in 2023."
"I'm thrilled to join a top club like Inter Miami and ready to get to work and make a difference in South Florida," said Kryvtsov. "This team wants to achieve big things and I want to help it do that. I'm eager to get started and give everything on and off the pitch for the Club."
The Zaporizhia, Ukraine born defender has spent the entirety of his career to date playing in his native country, mainly for giants FC Shakhtar Donetsk (2010-2023) as well as for FC Metalurh Zaporizhya (2008-2010), winning 17 titles with Shakhtar, among them eight Ukrainian Premier League titles, amassing a total 268 club appearances across all competitions, including 20 in the UEFA Champions League, and registering 15 goals and five assists. Kryvtsov has featured prominently on the international level for Ukraine as well, registering 31 appearances with the senior squad, including appearances in the UEFA Euro 2020 and in the UEFA Nations League. Prior to making his senior team debut in 2011, the defender represented various youth sides. Notably, he helped Ukraine's U-19 side clinch the UEFA European Under-19 Championship in 2009.
Kryvtsov most recently spent nearly 13 years with Ukrainian giants Shakhtar Donetsk after being signed in the summer of 2010. The center back went on to rack 224 appearances across all competitions, including 20 in the UEFA Champions League, help the team win an impressive 17 titles, among them eight out of the last 11 Ukrainian Premier League titles, and record 13 goals and four assists.
The defender began his career developing as a player in the youth ranks of Metalurh Zaporizhya, back then competing in Ukraine's top-tier, before going on to make his professional debut at the age of 17 in a league match in May of 2008. Kryvtsov subsequently went on to make 44 appearances for the team across all competitions in his first seasons as a professional, registering two goals and an assist.
On the international arena, Kryvtsov represented Ukraine's U-16, U-17, U-18, U-19 and U-21 youth sides before making his debut for the nation's senior side in 2011. Notably, he was a key member of Ukraine's U-19 side that clinched the UEFA European Under-19 Championship in 2009, starting and playing the full 90 minutes in each of the team's five matches in the competition. The defender has played a total 31 times for Ukraine's senior side to date, including two UEFA Euro 2020 and five in the UEFA Nations League appearances, and recorded an assist in the process.
TRANSACTION: Inter Miami CF signs defender Sergii Kryvtsov from Ukrainian giants FC Shakhtar Donetsk to a contract through the 2024 Major League Soccer (MLS) season, with a Club option for the 2025 season.
Name: Sergii Kryvtsov
Pronunciation: ser-hee kriv-tsov
Height: 6' 1"
Birthplace: Zaporizhia, Ukraine
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 31, 2023
- Whitecaps FC to Play Winner of York United FC and Vancouver FC to Start 2023 Canadian Championship Run - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Earthquakes Acquire Ecuador National Team Midfielder Carlos Gruezo as Designated Player - San Jose Earthquakes
- Philadelphia Union and Bimbo Bakeries USA Renew Official Jersey Partnership - Philadelphia Union
- Match Date Changed for Los Angeles FC vs. Inter Miami CF - Inter Miami CF
- Inter Miami CF Signs Ukrainian International Defender Sergii Kryvtsov - Inter Miami CF
- LAFC Announces Date Change for Home Match against Inter Miami CF - Los Angeles FC
- RSL U-17 Head Coach Andrew May Heads to France to Participate in Elite Formation Coaching License Program - Real Salt Lake
- Tosaint Ricketts Announces Retirement After 14-Year Professional Career - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Austin FC Loans Forward Moussa Djitté to AC Ajaccio - Austin FC
- Revolution's Away Match at New York City FC to Kickoff at 3:30 p.m. ET - New England Revolution
- Balboa, Angeli, Moor Headline Rapids On-Air Personalities in 2023 - Colorado Rapids
- Orlando City SC Acquires Icelandic National Team Midfielder Dagur Dan Thórhallsson - Orlando City SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Inter Miami CF Stories
- (Re)boot: New Brand Partnering with Professional Fútbol Clubs Sets out to Tackle Waste Crisis by Keeping Worn Sports Gear in Play
- DRV PNK Stadium to Host University of Miami Spring Football Game on Friday, April 14 at 7:30 p.m. ET
- Inter Miami CF Aiming to Extend Winning Streak at Home against Chicago Fire FC
- Inter Miami CF Announces Theme Matches and Promotional Items for 2023 Season
- IMCF DonBorrello Closes out First Season as Inter Miami CF's eMLS Athlete