Indomitable Club Unveils Refurbished Futsal Courts at Northgate Park
In just three weeks, new futsal courts provide safe place for next generation of Sacramento's soccer players to practice.
In just three weeks, Republic FC doubled the safe space for area youth to play at Northgate Park in Natomas. On October 8, the Indomitable Club invited Councilmember Jeff Harris, Azteca FC Coach Rose Shoen, and the Carrillo family to help dedicate a new community futsal court project, converting an unused tennis court into a new futsal court, and refresh the existing court.
Carrillo Courts at Northgate Park - named in honor of local soccer coach Arturo "Art" Carrillo, opened this afternoon for a ribbon cutting and kick around on one of the new courts. The kids from Azteca FC helped City Councilmember Jeff Harris, Republic FC President and COO Ben Gumpert, and an excited community break in the new courts.
These courts have an extra special meaning. Across the new surface are twin murals created by local artist Marco Estrada. His design incorporates elements of Mexican culture and heritage - to serve a reminder of the diversity of our community and the continued commitment to learn about different cultures and traditions. Decorative nopales across a mountainous landscape in pastel tones decorate both courts, with more artwork to come.
Even one of the club's youngest players got in on the action. Academy standout Julian Chavez helped bring the courts to life when he helped the community investment team build goals for the project.
On a day when one of the club's young talents was named a finalist for Young Player of the Year - its great to see another place for the next generation of Sacramento soccer player to sharpen their skills.
Azteca FC Founder and Coach Rose Shoen has championed the refurbishment of this court with local leaders. Her indomitable spirit has advanced the project along through city council presentations, the creation of community surveys in English and Spanish to meet the needs of the community and working with Republic FC to bring a vision to life.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from October 29, 2020
- Indomitable Club Unveils Refurbished Futsal Courts at Northgate Park - Sacramento Republic FC
- Hayden Sargis Selected as Young Player of the Year Finalist - Sacramento Republic FC
- USL Academy League Confirms Founding Southwest Division Members - Orange County SC
- Ian Russell Named One of Three Finalists for Coach of the Year - Reno 1868 FC
- Kelly and Miller Shortlisted for 2020 USL Championship Awards - Charlotte Independence
- San Antonio FC Forward Jose Gallegos Named Finalist for USL Championship Young Player of the Year - San Antonio FC
- 2020 USL Championship Awards Finalists Announced - USL
- LouCity Quartet Name USL Award Finalists - Louisville City FC
- USL Academy League Reveals Founding South-Central Division Members - Austin Bold FC
- LouCity Legend Spencer Transitioning to New Role - Louisville City FC
- Hartford Athletic 2020 Season Community Wrap Up - Hartford Athletic
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Sacramento Republic FC Stories
- Old Glory Red and Beyond: Evolution of SRFC's Kits
- Five Finalists Selected by Fans for Latinx Edition of Republic FC Kickstart
- Returning for 2021: Penagos Primed for Solid Second Season
- Returning for 2021: Jauregui Proving the Future Is Now for SRFC
- Kharlton Belmar Set to Return to Republic FC in 2021