USL Academy League Confirms Founding Southwest Division Members
TAMPA, Fla. - The United Soccer League (USL) confirmed on Thursday the founding members of the USL Academy League's Southwest Division. The inaugural season of Academy League play is due to kick off in spring 2021, and will provide clubs in all three of the USL's senior divisions with an elite youth development and competition platform.
The structure of the USL Academy League provides USL clubs a progressive model to develop local players for their Senior Team, at a lessened cost of traditional pre-professional academies. Doing so will also enable far more clubs and communities to participate, allowing for the regional division format which limits travel demand to teams and families.
The eight clubs set to compete in the Southwest Division of the inaugural USL Academy League are as follows:
- Colorado Rush: Denver, CO (USL League Two)
- El Paso Locomotive FC: El Paso, TX (USL Championship)
- FC Tucson: Tucson, AZ (USL League One)
- New Mexico United: Albuquerque, NM (USL Championship)
- Orange County SC: Irvine, CA (USL Championship)
- Phoenix Rising FC: Phoenix, AZ (USL Championship)
- San Francisco Glens SC: San Francisco, CA (USL League Two)
- Ventura County Fusion: Ventura, CA (USL League Two)
All seven regional divisions for the inaugural USL Academy League have now been announced. For more information on the USL Academy League, visit usl-academy.com/academy-league.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from October 29, 2020
- Indomitable Club Unveils Refurbished Futsal Courts at Northgate Park - Sacramento Republic FC
- Hayden Sargis Selected as Young Player of the Year Finalist - Sacramento Republic FC
- USL Academy League Confirms Founding Southwest Division Members - Orange County SC
- Ian Russell Named One of Three Finalists for Coach of the Year - Reno 1868 FC
- Kelly and Miller Shortlisted for 2020 USL Championship Awards - Charlotte Independence
- San Antonio FC Forward Jose Gallegos Named Finalist for USL Championship Young Player of the Year - San Antonio FC
- 2020 USL Championship Awards Finalists Announced - USL
- LouCity Quartet Name USL Award Finalists - Louisville City FC
- USL Academy League Reveals Founding South-Central Division Members - Austin Bold FC
- LouCity Legend Spencer Transitioning to New Role - Louisville City FC
- Hartford Athletic 2020 Season Community Wrap Up - Hartford Athletic
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Orange County SC Stories
- Orange County SC Adds Adam Jahn
- Orange County SC Sign Tommy McCabe from FC Cincinnati
- Qatar Donates $40,000 to OCSC Community Foundation in Celebration of Qatar's National Sports Day
- 5 Reasons Why You Should Tryout for Orange County SC
- Orange County SC Partners with Local Artist for Charity Shirt Design