USL Academy League Reveals Founding South-Central Division Members
AUSTIN, TX - The United Soccer League (USL) confirmed on Thursday the founding members of the USL Academy League's South-Central Division. The inaugural season of Academy League play is due to kick off in spring 2021, and will provide clubs in all three of the USL's senior divisions with an elite youth development and competition platform.
"This is a very exciting time in Austin for those of us that love this beautiful game! The USL and Bold Academy will provide even more opportunities for our local youth prospects and a more direct path to the pros," said Austin Bold FC Academy Staff Member Lee Stooksberry. "The road to becoming a professional player is extremely difficult, but with the growth of the professional leagues here in the US, our promising youth prospects will have more options and opportunities."
The inclusion of Austin BoldFC as a founding member of the USL Academy League furthers the organization's commitment to giving young promising players in the Austin area an opportunity to advance their careers in a professional environment. Since their inaugural season, Austin Bold FC has signed seven local standouts to Academy contracts. Three (Julian Gaines, Beto Avila, and AJ Francois) made their professional debuts with the club.
The structure of the USL Academy League provides USL clubs a progressive model to develop local players for their Senior Team, at a lessened cost of traditional pre-professional academies. Doing so will also enable far more clubs and communities to participate, allowing for the regional division format which limits travel demand to teams and families.
The five clubs set to compete in the South-Central Division of the inaugural USL Academy League are as follows:
- AHFC Royals: Houston, TX (USL League Two)
- Austin Bold FC: Austin, TX (USL Championship)
- Houston FC: Houston, TX (USL League Two)
- RGV FC Toros: Edinburg, TX (USL Championship)
- Texas United: Dallas, TX (USL League Two)
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from October 29, 2020
- Indomitable Club Unveils Refurbished Futsal Courts at Northgate Park - Sacramento Republic FC
- Hayden Sargis Selected as Young Player of the Year Finalist - Sacramento Republic FC
- USL Academy League Confirms Founding Southwest Division Members - Orange County SC
- Ian Russell Named One of Three Finalists for Coach of the Year - Reno 1868 FC
- Kelly and Miller Shortlisted for 2020 USL Championship Awards - Charlotte Independence
- San Antonio FC Forward Jose Gallegos Named Finalist for USL Championship Young Player of the Year - San Antonio FC
- 2020 USL Championship Awards Finalists Announced - USL
- LouCity Quartet Name USL Award Finalists - Louisville City FC
- USL Academy League Reveals Founding South-Central Division Members - Austin Bold FC
- LouCity Legend Spencer Transitioning to New Role - Louisville City FC
- Hartford Athletic 2020 Season Community Wrap Up - Hartford Athletic
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Austin Bold FC Stories
- Austin Bold FC Strengthens Squad with Three Returning Players
- Austin Bold FC Re-Signs Midfielder Amobi Okugo for a Third Season
- USL Championship Unveils 2021 League Alignment
- Head Coach Marcelo Serrano Among 2020 Pro License Graduates
- Austin Bold FC Signs MLS Veteran Kofi Sarkodie for 2021 USL Championship Season