Independence Grind out Clean Sheet, Home Win
Matthews (NC) - The Charlotte Independence defeated Nashville SC 1-0 at the Sportsplex at Matthews on Wednesday night. Trinidad and Tobago international player Kevan George scored the game's only goal in the 42nd minute to secure three points for the first time in seven games for the Independence.
"I think that there was a mentality going into tonight that we knew it wasn't going to be easy at all," said Head Coach Mike Jeffries. "Nashville SC is a very good team and can move the ball, but we felt like with the group we had available is a group that has a lot of heart and a lot of fight and they came out and showed it. It's a credit to the guys defensively for the energy and effort that they put in."
Off of a deflected Jorge Herrera free kick in the 42nd minute, Cordell Cato picked out his Trinidad and Tobago international teammate Kevan George who finished for his first goal of the 2018 season. Cato's assist was his third this season, tied for the team-high.
"It happened where it went wide and I was able to pick Kevan [George] out and it was a great finish," said Cato. "I was just being alert and taking a chance and it worked out."
The Independence also recorded their first clean sheet since the win at Ottawa Fury FC on June 2nd. Due to a red card suspension, Independence midfielder Greg Jordan played at center back out of his normal center midfield position.
"It felt like it wasn't a big change of plans or anything," said Jordan. "It ended up being a short week, so it's wasn't something we were working on throughout the week; it was a step-in and play the role."
The Independence have a weekend off but return to action away at league-leading FC Cincinnati on Saturday, July 18th. The game will be nationally broadcasted on ESPN2 and will be the second meeting between the two clubs after a 4-1 victory in favor of the Independence earlier this year. The Independence official watch party will be held at Jack's House Soccer Bar and Retail store. More information online at jackshouseclt.com.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from July 11, 2018
- Indy Eleven Can't Fend off Charleston Battery, 1-2 - Indy Eleven
- Raul Mendiola Records First Hat Trick in Club History, But Lights FC Falls in OKC, 6-3 - Las Vegas Lights FC
- Independence Grind out Clean Sheet, Home Win - Charlotte Independence
- Nashville SC Falls on the Road 1-0 against Charlotte Independence - Nashville SC
- Atlanta United 2 Defeats Bethlehem Steel 2-1 - Atlanta United 2
- Wild's Brace Leads Battery Past Indy - Charleston Battery
- RECAP: Steel FC Drops Physical Contest to Atlanta United 2 - Bethlehem Steel FC
- New York Red Bulls II Sign Left Back Allen Yanes - New York Red Bulls II
- Phoenix's Schantz Named USL Coach of the Month - USL
- Hartford Joins USL for 2019 Season at Dillon Stadium - USL
- Independence to Wear Military Appreciation Jerseys Presented by Famous Toastery - Charlotte Independence
- USL Discipline Report - Week 18 - USL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Charlotte Independence Stories
- Speedy, Seasoned MLS Striker Signs with Independence
- MLS Mainstay, Mansally Added to Independence
- McGuinness Appoints Former La Liga Manager to Assistant Coach
- Head Coach McGuinness Welcomed by Irish Ambassador to the United States, Daniel Mulhall
- Independence Ink Post-Season Veteran