IceRays Topple Bucks 6-3
The Corpus Christi IceRays scored four second period goals as part of a five unanswered flurry en route to a 6-3 win over the Laredo Bucks on Saturday night at the Laredo Entertainment Center. The IceRays won their sixth straight game over Laredo, and finished their season-long road trip 2-1-1. The IceRays improved to 17-18-6 on the year with the win, and tied the idle Amarillo Gorillas for in the Southern Conference. The Rays will return home on Sunday at 5:05pm to host the Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees on Faith and Family Night. Pre-game festivities including a pre-game concert from the James Roots Band begin at 3:15pm and the doors open at 2:45pm. It's also another installment of the Fine Jewelry Outlet Great Diamond Giveaway where one fan is guaranteed to win a $7,000 diamond at the game. For more information, please call the IceRays at 361.814.PUCK or visit them online at www.goicerays.com.
The Bucks jumped onto the board first with a pair of opening frame special team goals. At 9:04, Mike Looby broke the scoreless tie with a slapshot from the top of the left circle off of a Bucks faceoff win. The Bucks then added to their lead on a power play rebound goal at 18:09 from Robin Richards to make it 2-0. The period was wide open with quality chances at both ends, with each team having 16 shots in the frame.
Corpus Christi completely flipped the script in the second period with four unanswered goals to seize control of the game. The first three all came within five and a half minutes to give the IceRays their first lead of the game. Kyle Peto got it started on a rebound goal at 1:16 of the frame. Then at 3:38 Morgan MacLean redirected a puck past Kevin Desfosses from the top of the crease to make it 2-2. The IceRays completed the flurry at 6:41 when Adam Powell won a footrace to a loose puck and curled towards the net sliding the puck just inside the left post for his eighth goal of the year. At 16:16 Matt Smyth scored on a wrist shot from the left circle to make it 4-2 heading into the third.
The IceRays closed out the third period with 14 Kris Tebbs saves and a pair of Ryan Garbutt goals. Garbutt got his first at 2:49 to make it 5-2. After a Darryl Smith goal at 3:44 made it 5-3, the IceRays killed off a 72 second five on three, and Garbutt sealed the game with an empty net goal at 18:55.
Kris Tebbs (3-4-3) earned the win, making 38 saves on 41 shots. Kevin Desfosses (7-7) took the loss making 29 saves on 34 shots. The IceRays power play went 0-6 and the Bucks went 1-5. The IceRays were outshot by the Bucks 41-35 in the game.
The IceRays will return home on Sunday at 5:05pm to host the Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees on Faith and Family Night. Pre-game festivities including a pre-game concert from the James Roots Band begin at 3:15pm and the doors open at 2:45pm. It's also another installment of the Fine Jewelry Outlet Great Diamond Giveaway where one fan is guaranteed to win a $7,000 diamond at the game. Simply register for free at FJO in the Sunrise Mall, then attend Sunday's game for your chance to win. For more information, please call the IceRays at 361.814.PUCK or visit them online at www.goicerays.com.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from January 30, 2010
- Clayton's OT Goal Downs Eagles - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Jacks Win Streak Snapped in Shootout, 6-5 - Odessa Jackalopes
- Three Goals Not Enough For Texas In Loss To Bees - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Win Streak Stopped in Tulsa as Oilers Beat RiverKings - Mississippi RiverKings
- IceRays Topple Bucks 6-3 - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Shorthanded Sundogs Top Odessa, 6-5 in Shootout - Arizona Sundogs
- Bucks Corpus Curse Continues, Fall 6-3 - Laredo Bucks
- Mavericks Blank Americans 4-0 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Americans drop one to Missouri 3-0 - Allen Americans
- Texas Stars and Tulsa Oilers part of the line-up of this week's Puska on Pucks - OSC Original by Denis Puska
- Eagles Gain Point, Lose in OT - Colorado Eagles
- Three-Goal Third Sinks Thunder - Wichita Thunder
- IceRays Trade For Goaltender Kevin Beech - Corpus Christi IceRays
- RiverKings Trade Beech to IceRays For Futures - Mississippi RiverKings
- Bucks Look To Continue Roll Tonight - Laredo Bucks
- Oilers Game Preview - Tulsa Oilers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Corpus Christi IceRays Stories
- Don'T Forget About Justin Quenneville's Retirement Party Tonight
- IceRays Host Street Hockey Challenge
- IceRays Season Ends With 2-0 Loss At Texas
- IceRays Fall 5-4 In Overtime To Brahmas, Trail Series 1-0
- IceRays Beat Killer Bees 6-3 In Regular Season Finale