IceRays skate past RiverKing 5-1
The Corpus Christi IceRays rallied with four third period goals to topple the Mississippi RiverKings 5-1 at the American Bank Center on Friday night. The IceRays improved to 3-1 on their current home stand and improved their overall season record to 6-7-1. The RiverKings loss was just their second in the last seven games - both coming at the hands of the Rays. The IceRays are home on Saturday night to host the RiverKings once again at the American Bank Center to close the season series. For more information, please contact the IceRays at 361-814-PUCK.
In a physical opening period, including three fights and a player ejection, the RiverKings scored the only tally of the frame. Darrell Stoddard scored on a seven-minute power play after T.J. Reynolds was given a five minute major penalty and was tossed from the game for fighting Matt Pierce. Stoddard's goal was scored at 8:29 and gave the Kings a 1-0 lead. The RiverKings outshot the IceRays 9-5
The IceRays tied the score in the second period when Chris Richards created a turnover and beat Kevin Beech at 14:12 to get the IceRays on the board. The IceRays outshot the Kings 17-10 in the period.
Corpus Christi completely took control in the third period getting four goals to lead them to victory. Ryan Bennett scored twice in the frame and Mike Zbriger and Nick Bachand also added goals to spark the period. Bennett, Zbriger and Richards all tallied their ninth goals of the season to share the team lead.
Dustin Traylen (2-3) earned the win making 28 saves on 29 shots while Beech (10-6) took the loss with 25 saves on 30 shots. The IceRays power play went 2-8 while the RiverKings went 1-8 on the man advantage. The IceRays outshot the Kings 30-29.
The IceRays remain at the American Bank Center to continue their six-game home stand, continuing on Saturday Night when the IceRays host the Mississippi RiverKings at 7:05pm. It's Caller-Times Family Day with family four-packs of tickets in most sections for just $32. Tickets to all IceRays games are on sale now at all Ticketmaster outlets or the American Bank Center Box Office. For more information, please call the IceRays at 361.814.PUCK or online at www.ccrayz.com.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from November 28, 2008
- Davis Hat Trick Leads Rage to Victory - Rocky Mountain Rage
- Gorillas outrun by Rocky Mountain in marathon, 5-4 - Amarillo Gorillas
- Clark's Two Goals Help Bugs to Win - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Arizona Squanders Two-Goal Third Period Lead - Arizona Sundogs
- Special Teams Trounce Rush Again in Second Period - Colorado Eagles
- Bucks Storm Back In Third, Win 5-4 - Laredo Bucks
- IceRays skate past RiverKing 5-1 - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Toews Stars in Shootout Win Over Tulsa - Wichita Thunder
- IceRays Stop RiverKings 5-1 in Texas - Mississippi RiverKings
- Jacks End Home Winless Streak with 6-2 Win - Odessa Jackalopes
- Jacks Facts - Odessa Jackalopes
- Oilers Preview - Tulsa Oilers
- Gorillas to host Rage on "Dad's Night Out" - Amarillo Gorillas
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Corpus Christi IceRays Stories
- Don'T Forget About Justin Quenneville's Retirement Party Tonight
- IceRays Host Street Hockey Challenge
- IceRays Season Ends With 2-0 Loss At Texas
- IceRays Fall 5-4 In Overtime To Brahmas, Trail Series 1-0
- IceRays Beat Killer Bees 6-3 In Regular Season Finale