IceRays Run Out Of Time In 5-4 Loss At Bossier
The Corpus Christi IceRays just ran out of time as their comeback effort fell one short in a 5-4 loss to the Bossier-Shrevepor Mudbugs on Sunday night at the CenturyTel Center. The IceRays nearly erased a 3-0 deficit midway through the game, but could not climb even in the narrow defeat. The loss kept the IceRays magic number at three points, or a single victory to clinch a playoff spot. Corpus Christi fell to 28-25-8 on the season. The IceRays return home for another chance to clinch a playoff berth when they host the Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees on Tuesday night in their regular season home finale, presented by SLC Construction. It's Two-For-Tuesday where fans can get two IceRays tickets for the price of one. Call 814-PUCK. 814-7825 or visit goicerays.com for more information.
The Mudbugs took an early lead when Justin Aikins scored on a wrist shot under the crossbar from the high slot on a power play at 4:42. Bossier then added to their lead on David Rutherford's goal at 16:28. The Bugs took a 2-0 lead into the intermission break after outshooting the IceRays 11-7 in the opening period.
Things continued to get rocky for the IceRays in the early part of the second period. Joe Blaznek scored a shorthanded goal at 5:12 to give the Bugs a 3-0 lead. But then the IceRays began a comeback effort. Chris Richards began the IceRays attack at 12:25 of the period on a power play. Then Jereme Tendler scored on a beautiful backhand roofed shot from just outside the crease at 14:30. The IceRays then went on a power play looking for the game tying goal, but the Mudbugs again scored shorthanded on a Brett Smith breakaway. In the final minute of the period Richards slammed home his own rebound to get the IceRays back within a goal at 19:04. The Bugs took a narrow 4-3 lead into the final period, and the IceRays outshot the Bugs 14-8 in the period.
The Bugs once again extended their lead to a pair when Dave Pszenyczny scored from the slot 2:04 into the third period. The IceRays got back within a goal on a highlight reel goal from Jesse Dudas at 11:19, and kept pressuring outshooting the Bugs 10-3 in the third period. But the clock ran out on the Rays and the Mudbugs held on for the 5-4 victory.
Kevin Beech (17-9-4) took the loss, making 17 saves on 22 shots. John DeCaro (21-13-1) earned the win making 27 saves on 31 shots. The IceRays power play went 1-5 and the Bugs went 1-5. The IceRays outshot the Bugs 31-22 in the game.
The IceRays return home for another chance to clinch a playoff berth when they host the Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees on Tuesday night in their regular season home finale, presented by SLC Construction. It's Two-For-Tuesday where fans can get two IceRays tickets for the price of one. Call 814-PUCK. 814-7825 or visit goicerays.com for more information.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from March 14, 2010
- Mavericks Secure Playoff Spot In 5-2 Win Over Wichita - Kansas City Mavericks
- 'Bugs Hold Off IceRays In 5-4 Win - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Thunder Closes Home Schedule With Loss - Wichita Thunder
- Jacks Outlast Amarillo In 2-1 Win - Odessa Jackalopes
- Texas Battles And Earns Point In South Standings - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Bucks, Pelletier Win In Shootout To Increase Lead For Third - Laredo Bucks
- IceRays Run Out Of Time In 5-4 Loss At Bossier - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Odessa Over Amarillo 2-1 - Amarillo Gorillas
- Bucks Battle Texas In Huge Game Today - Laredo Bucks
Other Recent Corpus Christi IceRays Stories
- Don'T Forget About Justin Quenneville's Retirement Party Tonight
- IceRays Host Street Hockey Challenge
- IceRays Season Ends With 2-0 Loss At Texas
- IceRays Fall 5-4 In Overtime To Brahmas, Trail Series 1-0
- IceRays Beat Killer Bees 6-3 In Regular Season Finale