IceRays Run Out Of Time In 5-4 Loss At Bossier
The Corpus Christi IceRays just ran out of time as their comeback effort fell one short in a 5-4 loss to the Bossier-Shrevepor Mudbugs on Sunday night at the CenturyTel Center. The IceRays nearly erased a 3-0 deficit midway through the game, but could not climb even in the narrow defeat. The loss kept the IceRays magic number at three points, or a single victory to clinch a playoff spot. Corpus Christi fell to 28-25-8 on the season. The IceRays return home for another chance to clinch a playoff berth when they host the Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees on Tuesday night in their regular season home finale, presented by SLC Construction. It's Two-For-Tuesday where fans can get two IceRays tickets for the price of one. Call 814-PUCK. 814-7825 or visit goicerays.com for more information.
The Mudbugs took an early lead when Justin Aikins scored on a wrist shot under the crossbar from the high slot on a power play at 4:42. Bossier then added to their lead on David Rutherford's goal at 16:28. The Bugs took a 2-0 lead into the intermission break after outshooting the IceRays 11-7 in the opening period.
Things continued to get rocky for the IceRays in the early part of the second period. Joe Blaznek scored a shorthanded goal at 5:12 to give the Bugs a 3-0 lead. But then the IceRays began a comeback effort. Chris Richards began the IceRays attack at 12:25 of the period on a power play. Then Jereme Tendler scored on a beautiful backhand roofed shot from just outside the crease at 14:30. The IceRays then went on a power play looking for the game tying goal, but the Mudbugs again scored shorthanded on a Brett Smith breakaway. In the final minute of the period Richards slammed home his own rebound to get the IceRays back within a goal at 19:04. The Bugs took a narrow 4-3 lead into the final period, and the IceRays outshot the Bugs 14-8 in the period.
The Bugs once again extended their lead to a pair when Dave Pszenyczny scored from the slot 2:04 into the third period. The IceRays got back within a goal on a highlight reel goal from Jesse Dudas at 11:19, and kept pressuring outshooting the Bugs 10-3 in the third period. But the clock ran out on the Rays and the Mudbugs held on for the 5-4 victory.
Kevin Beech (17-9-4) took the loss, making 17 saves on 22 shots. John DeCaro (21-13-1) earned the win making 27 saves on 31 shots. The IceRays power play went 1-5 and the Bugs went 1-5. The IceRays outshot the Bugs 31-22 in the game.
The IceRays return home for another chance to clinch a playoff berth when they host the Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees on Tuesday night in their regular season home finale, presented by SLC Construction. It's Two-For-Tuesday where fans can get two IceRays tickets for the price of one. Call 814-PUCK. 814-7825 or visit goicerays.com for more information.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from March 14, 2010
- Mavericks Secure Playoff Spot In 5-2 Win Over Wichita - Kansas City Mavericks
- 'Bugs Hold Off IceRays In 5-4 Win - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Thunder Closes Home Schedule With Loss - Wichita Thunder
- Jacks Outlast Amarillo In 2-1 Win - Odessa Jackalopes
- Texas Battles And Earns Point In South Standings - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Bucks, Pelletier Win In Shootout To Increase Lead For Third - Laredo Bucks
- IceRays Run Out Of Time In 5-4 Loss At Bossier - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Odessa Over Amarillo 2-1 - Amarillo Gorillas
- Bucks Battle Texas In Huge Game Today - Laredo Bucks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Corpus Christi IceRays Stories
- Don'T Forget About Justin Quenneville's Retirement Party Tonight
- IceRays Host Street Hockey Challenge
- IceRays Season Ends With 2-0 Loss At Texas
- IceRays Fall 5-4 In Overtime To Brahmas, Trail Series 1-0
- IceRays Beat Killer Bees 6-3 In Regular Season Finale