IceDogs Surge Past Firebirds with 8-2 Win
The Niagara IceDogs were back in action Thursday night as the Flint Firebirds mad their only visit to the Meridian Centre of the season. After last facing the Firebirds in November, a 6-4 win in Flint, the 'Dogs were looking to continue rolling after a 4-2 win on Sunday against the Petes. The Firebirds came into this game on a 3 game win streak.
The IceDogs got on the board early in this game, with Bradey Johnson scoring the game-opening goal in consecutive games! Johnson's 11th goal of the season came as he rushed the net and beat the Firebirds' goaltender, Forrest low. Matthew Philip and Drew Hunter picked up the assists on Johnson's 3rd goal against the Firebirds this season. Wih just over three minutes remaining in the first period, Will Lochead pounced on a loose puck and roofed it high over Forrest! Lochead's 5th of the season was assisted by Danial Singer, and Akil Thomas. Then, two minutes later, Matthew Philip filled the net to extend the lead to 3. Matthew's 15th goal of the season was assisted by Kirill Maksimov and Ben Jones. The 3-0 lead held going into the 2nd period.
As the second period started, Ben Jones and Kirill Maksimov rushed the net on a 2 on 0 and fooled the Firebirds' goaltender. Maksi scored on the near empty net to give us a four goal lead. Captain Johnny Corneil was credited with the lone assist. After the halfway mark in the game, Ian Martin scored his first home goal of the season, and his 2nd total. Justin MacPherson and Philip Tomasino were credited with the assists. Nearing the end point of the period, Liam Ham got into the mix, scoring a goal of his own. Ham's fifth of the season made it 6-0. Oliver Castleman and Philip Tomasino picked up the assists.
After doubling the lead in the second period, the IceDogs entered the third period with a 6-0 lead. Early in the third, the 'Dogs found themselves on the powerplay. Ben Jones scored his 23rd of the season on the powerplay. Kirill Maksimov and Akil Thomas were credited with the assists on Jonesy's PP marker. Matthew Philip scored his second of the game, also on a powerplay, by tapping in a pass from Johnny Corneil! Sam Miletic picked up his first point of the night with an assist on Matthew's goal. Flint got on the board seconds after Philip's second goal. The Firebirds scored to make the score 8-2 with just over 6 minutes remaining.
The 8-2 score held as the 'Dogs captured their 2nd home win in a row!
• Discuss this story on the Ontario Hockey League message board...
Ontario Hockey League Stories from March 8, 2018
- Attack Use Overtime to Snap Colts Win Streak - Barrie Colts
- Attack Win Nailbiter over Colts - Owen Sound Attack
- Spitfires Spoil Start to Roadtrip - Soo Greyhounds
- Steelheads Clinch Playoff Berth in High Scoring Thriller - Mississauga Steelheads
- IceDogs Surge Past Firebirds with 8-2 Win - Niagara IceDogs
- Firebirds Invade Niagara with Three Game Winning Streak Thursday - Flint Firebirds
- Colts Capture Central Division Title - Barrie Colts
- Paint the Town Red - Soo Greyhounds
- Spirit Weekly - Saginaw Spirit
- Boots and Hearts and Kitchener Rangers' Team up for Country Night - Kitchener Rangers
- Knights Mount Major Comeback against Storm - London Knights
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.