IceDogs Render Spitfires Flightless in 3-2 Win
The 'Dogs closed out this weekend Saturday night against the Windsor Spitfires. In the second of back to back road games, the IceDogs were looking to keep the momentum going, after defeating the Sarnia Sting Friday evening. Back to back games on the road can be really tough, and the young IceDogs' energy levels are still adjusting to the schedules of quick road trips like this weekend.
The last time these two teams faced off, Ivan Lodnia scored the game winning goal with 1.1 seconds remaining in overtime at the Meridian Centre. The Spitfires, nearing their oldest years in the junior hockey cycle posed a tough opponent for the rebuilding 'Dogs. Windsor opened the scoring nearing the midway point of the first period with two consecutive goals. The IceDogs hit the post of the Windsor net twice but couldn't get the puck into the net in the opening frame.
The IceDogs really came out to play in the second period, scoring two quick goals in four minutes! On a power play, three and a half minutes into the period, Phil Tomasino scored his 16th goal of the season, from one knee, roofing the puck into the net. Then, at the tail end of another power play, Captain Akil Thomas scored his 14th of the season, to tie the game up at 2!
Niagara added their third consecutive unanswered goal just over a minute into the final period, to take their first lead of the game, as Phil Tomasino scored his second goal of the night! The Spitfires seemingly turned up their game, trying to score the game tying goal, but Tucker Tynan made several big saves to maintain the IceDogs' lead. Tynan stood on his head when Niagara had to kill a penalty with three minutes to play, and the Spitfires had pulled their goaltender for the extra attacker.
Niagara held on to complete the winning weekend with a 3-2 victory over the Western Conference's 2nd place Spitfires. They also won the season series against Windsor.
Connor Corcoran (D'Amico & Foudy) (WSR) 7:38 PP Cole Purboo (Afanasyev & Angle) (WSR) 10:03
Phil Tomasino (Castleman & Lodnia) (NIA) 3:58 PP Akil Thomas (Lodnia & Roberts) (NIA) 7L36 PP
Phil Tomasino (Beraldo & Castleman) (NIA) 1:23
• Discuss this story on the Ontario Hockey League message board...
Ontario Hockey League Stories from November 30, 2019
- Spirit Rally Late to Earn Point; Draw Closer to Top of West Division - Saginaw Spirit
- Fowler Scores Teddy Bear Toss Goal, But Petes Prevail 3-1 - Erie Otters
- Late Push for London Leads to Knights' Victory in Flint Saturday - Flint Firebirds
- Willms the Overtime Hero in Win over the Bulldogs - Barrie Colts
- Costantini's 46 Saves Not Enough as Colts Edge Bulldogs in OT - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Attack Return to Winning Ways with 5-4 OT Win over Spirit - Owen Sound Attack
- IceDogs Render Spitfires Flightless in 3-2 Win - Niagara IceDogs
- Late Goal from Jack Quinn Gives Ottawa 4-3 Win over Generals - Ottawa 67's
- Busy Weekend Begins with Home Win over Spits - London Knights
- Preview: Spirit Wrap up Road Swing Saturday in Owen Sound - Saginaw Spirit
- Spits Fall 6-3 against London - Windsor Spitfires
- Preview: Firebirds Face-Off vs. London in Flint Saturday - Flint Firebirds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.