IceDogs Bring Home Point in 5-4 OT Loss to Fish
The Niagara IceDogs headed to Mississauga tonight for their second match-up agains the Steelheads in less than two weeks. The last time the 'Dogs were in Mississauga they skated away with the 8-6 win, courtesy of a 5-point afternoon by Akil Thomas. Tonight's game comes the day before the anniversary of Ben Jones setting an IceDogs record for scoring the two fastest goals in a game (20 seconds apart against the Oshawa Generals).
Just 1 minute, 33 seconds into the game, Matthew Philip scored on Steelheads' netminder Jacob Ingham to gain the early 1-0 lead. Philip's third of the season was assisted by Akil Thomas, who picks up his 6th point against Mississauga in two games. Just over five minutes into the game, Kyen Sopa doubled our lead with his 3rd of the season. Oliver Castleman and Billy Constantinou were credited with the assists. The Steelheads scored three consecutive goals to take a 3-2 lead. Kirill Maksimov tied the game up at 3 on the powerplay with his 5th of the season. Ben Jones and Akil Thomas picked up the assists on Maksi's goal. With his equalizer, Maksimov and Jones each extended their point-streaks to six games. The Steelheads scored toward the end of the period to take the 4-3 lead into the second.
Stephen Dhillon took over the net to start the middle frame. Stevie made an incredible stacked pad save on a penalty kill towards the end of the second period to keep the score at 4-3 for the Fish heading into the 3rd period. Dhillon came up with two huge saves in tight on Ryan McLeod, first on a breakaway and then with a sprawling stick save to prevent the Steelhead from scoring.
Maksi came up big for us, scoring a powerplay goal to tie the game up at 4! Kirill's shot slipped past Ingham five-hole. Ivan Lodnia and Akil Thomas picked up the assists. The 'Dogs pressed hard but couldn't get the equalizer in regulation. This game went into the overtime, where Mississauga scored with 1:09 remaining.
The 'Dogs picked up a big point despite falling 5-4.
The 'Dogs return home next Thursday, October 11th against the Barrie Colts for our Stan Mikita night! We'll be donning special warm up jerseys, hosting a banner raising, and puck drop by two of his former teammates. Tickets can be purchased online HERE, or in person at the following locations:
IceDogs Meridian Centre Offices 905-687-3641
Meridian Centre Box Office
Pen Centre Customer Service
Seaway Mall Customer Service
Images from this story
Mississauga Steelheads goaltender Jacob Ingham vs. the Niagara IceDogs
• Discuss this story on the Ontario Hockey League message board...
Ontario Hockey League Stories from October 5, 2018
- Attack Can't Hold On, Fall 4-1 to Knights - Owen Sound Attack
- Spirit Win Overtime Thriller in Kitchener, 4-3 - Saginaw Spirit
- Bulldogs Lose to Oshawa 7-1 - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Otters Fall 4-1 to Sudbury at Home - Erie Otters
- IceDogs Bring Home Point in 5-4 OT Loss to Fish - Niagara IceDogs
- IceDogs fall 3-2 to the Sudbury Wolves - Niagara IceDogs
- Bulldogs Acquire Josh Wainman from Erie - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Otters Receive Pick for Defenseman Wainman - Erie Otters
- Game Preview: Storm vs Sting, Friday October 5th - 7:30pm - Guelph Storm
- Storm Acquire Domenico Commisso from the Oshawa Generals - Guelph Storm
- Generals Trade Commisso to Storm - Oshawa Generals
- Firebirds Host Guelph on Hot Wing's Birthday Saturday - Flint Firebirds
- Spirit Face Rangers in Kitchener Friday Night - Saginaw Spirit
- Knights Shutout by Spitfires - London Knights
- Steelheads Win Third Straight - Mississauga Steelheads
- Niagara IceDogs Fall 3-2 to the Sudbury Wolves - Niagara IceDogs
- Jones, Gallant and Isaacson Lead Petes Past Hounds - Peterborough Petes
- Early Pair Leads Steelheads over the Colts - Barrie Colts
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.