Early Pair Leads Steelheads over the Colts
The Steelheads top line would tally two early first period goals proving to be all they would need skating to a 2-1 victory over the Barrie Colts Thursday night at the Barrie Molson Centre.
The Barrie Colts would kickoff October with their first meeting of the season with division rival Mississauga Thursday night.
It would be a tough start for Colts rookie goaltender Jet Greaves, making his OHL debut as the Steelheads would jump out to the early lead. Cole Carter would slide a deflected shot under his pad just 14 seconds into the contest to give the Fish the 1-0 lead.
Greaves would settle in making 28 saves in the loss and be named third star of the game for his debut.
The Steelheads top line would increase the lead to two just five minutes later. Carter would find James Hardie back door for the tap in.
At 7:57 while on the powerplay the Colts would respond. Ryan Suzuki would skate in alone with a burst of speed putting a shot towards the goal. Matej Pekar would jam the loose puck home for his 4th of the season past Jacob Ingham to get back within one.
The middle frame wouldn't contain much in the way of scoring chances for either opponent. The Colts penalty kill would be put to work in the second as they'd find themselves shorthanded for almost the entire first half of the frame with consecutive calls, but score would stand 2-1 for the Steelheads through forty minutes.
Ingham would continue to shut the door on the Colts the rest of the way giving Mississauga the win.
The Colts will now hit the road for the weekend with two consecutive matinees. Saturday they will face the Ottawa 67's and Sunday will see the boys head to Kingston to take on the Frontenacs.
Tickets for all Barrie Colts home games can be purchased online, by calling 1-888-655-9090, or in person at the Colts Store located inside the Barrie Molson Centre.
• Discuss this story on the Ontario Hockey League message board...
Ontario Hockey League Stories from October 5, 2018
- Attack Can't Hold On, Fall 4-1 to Knights - Owen Sound Attack
- Spirit Win Overtime Thriller in Kitchener, 4-3 - Saginaw Spirit
- Bulldogs Lose to Oshawa 7-1 - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Otters Fall 4-1 to Sudbury at Home - Erie Otters
- IceDogs Bring Home Point in 5-4 OT Loss to Fish - Niagara IceDogs
- IceDogs fall 3-2 to the Sudbury Wolves - Niagara IceDogs
- Bulldogs Acquire Josh Wainman from Erie - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Otters Receive Pick for Defenseman Wainman - Erie Otters
- Game Preview: Storm vs Sting, Friday October 5th - 7:30pm - Guelph Storm
- Storm Acquire Domenico Commisso from the Oshawa Generals - Guelph Storm
- Generals Trade Commisso to Storm - Oshawa Generals
- Firebirds Host Guelph on Hot Wing's Birthday Saturday - Flint Firebirds
- Spirit Face Rangers in Kitchener Friday Night - Saginaw Spirit
- Knights Shutout by Spitfires - London Knights
- Steelheads Win Third Straight - Mississauga Steelheads
- Niagara IceDogs Fall 3-2 to the Sudbury Wolves - Niagara IceDogs
- Jones, Gallant and Isaacson Lead Petes Past Hounds - Peterborough Petes
- Early Pair Leads Steelheads over the Colts - Barrie Colts
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.