Ice Flyers Fall Short, Lose 3-2 in Overtime
PENSACOLA, Fla. - The Pensacola Ice Flyers lost to the Peoria Rivermen in overtime. Pensacola's goals were scored by John Scorcia and Carter Struthers. The Rivermen's goals were scored by Ben Oskroba, Austin Vieth and Joe Kalisz.
The first period remained scoreless, while both teams were tied at 9 shots on goal.
In the final seconds of a power play due to a tripping call against Alfred Johansson, Ben Oskroba scored for Peoria. He was assisted by Alec Hagaman and Austin Frank. John Scorcia tied it up for the Ice Flyers on a pass from Andrew Schmit at 19:21. It was his first goal of the season. The Ice Flyers led the period in shots with 8 to the Rivermen's 7.
Carter Struthers put the Ice Flyers up one over Peoria 8:07 into the third with assists coming from Brantley Sherwood and Matt Harrington. However, 56 seconds later Austin Vieth tied the game for Peoria. Ben Blasko and Jake Hamilton assisted. Neither team was able to capitalize on their chances in the remaining 10:57 of the third, sending the game into overtime.
With 33 seconds left, Joe Kalisz scored the game winning goal for Peoria. Justin Greenberg and Ben Blasko assisted.
Friday, November 30 is Tampa Bay Lightning Night sponsored by Dr. Donald Dewey! Puck drops at 7:35 PM! The Ice Flyers welcome back Lightning mascot Thunderbug and a few of the Lightning Girls. Former Tampa Bay Lightning Captain, Hall of Famer and Stanley Cup Champion Dave Andreychuk will also be in attendance!
Fans who were in attendance for the game held on Friday, November 16 are encouraged to hold on to their tickets. SMG is going to provide a voucher for a free food item or non-alcoholic beverage. Fans can redeem this voucher at the Pensacola Bay Center Box Office starting on Monday, November 19. This voucher will be valid for any Ice Flyers regular season game for the 2018-19 season beginning with the game on Wednesday, November 21.
• Discuss this story on the Southern Professional Hockey League message board...
Southern Professional Hockey League Stories from November 24, 2018
- Ice Flyers Fall Short, Lose 3-2 in Overtime - Pensacola Ice Flyers
- Rivermen Outlast Ice Flyers in Overtime Saturday - Peoria Rivermen
- Mayhem Snap Birmingham's Eleven Game Winning Streak - Macon Mayhem
- Minney Stands Tall with 34 Saves in 1-0 Loss - Evansville Thunderbolts
- Off the Schneid: Havoc Snap Losing Streak at Roanoke 3-2 - Huntsville Havoc
- Dawgs Comeback Falls Short, 3-2 - Roanoke Rail Yard Dawgs
- Bulls Streak Ends in Macon - Birmingham Bulls
- Defensive Failures Lead Marksmen to 7-2 Loss - Fayetteville Marksmen
- Fayetteville Loses Two-Goal Lead, Falls to Knoxville in OT - Fayetteville Marksmen
- Rail Yard Dawgs Game Notes: Rail Yard Dawgs (5-5-0) vs Havoc (4-6-1) - 7:05 PM - Roanoke Rail Yard Dawgs
- Ice Bears Clip Marksmen in OT - Knoxville Ice Bears
- Struggles Continue for Havoc as Roanoke Doubles-Up Huntsville 4-2 - Huntsville Havoc
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.