Houston Dash travel to Legends Field to face Kansas City NWSL
HOUSTON -â¯Theâ¯Houston Dashâ¯travel to Legends Field later today for their third game in the last eight days. This is also the third and final meeting of the regular season between Houston and Kansas City.
Houston enters this stretch of matches tied for third place after defeating the North Carolina Courage 4-1 on Sunday at BBVA Stadium. Houston extended its winning streak to three consecutive games and a victory in Kansas City today would give Houston their 10th of the season, setting a new club record for victories in a single season.
Dash captain Rachel Daly was key in Sunday's victory over the Courage and scored a brace for the second time in five days to move into tie for league scoring lead. Daly has scored in five of her last seven outings for Houston and needs one goal to reach 10 and match her career high from 2018.
Defender Katie Naughton led Houston to a 1-0 victory over Kansas City at Legends Field on June 6. This was the most recent meeting between the two sides and Houston holds a 2-0-1 record in all competitions against Kansas City this year. Houston also defeated Kansas City 3-1 at Children's Mercy Park on April 21 during the 2021 NWSL Challenge Cup.
Houston returns to BBVA Stadium on Sunday to host the Portland Thorns for the final home match of the regular season. This is also the third and final meeting with the Thorns after both teams split the two previous meetings.
Houston Dash vs. Kansas City NWSL
Wednesday, Oct. 13â¯-â¯7:00 p.m. CTâ¯â¯
Paramount + (USA) and Twitch (international)
Here are the three key points ahead of today's game:â¯
DASH REACH FINAL STRETCH: The Dash close one of their most active stretches of the season on Sunday and will have four games under their belt in the last two weeks as they recover during the final international break of the season. Two of Houston's final three games will be against a team currently in a playoffs spot, beginning with Sunday's match at home against the Portland Thorns. The Dash and Thorns have split the series so far with each side earning a victory on the road. Houston will face the Washington Spirit on Oct. 31 to close the regular season and the Spirit currently sits in fifth place after a 3-0 victory over Louisville on Saturday. The path to the postseason will require key points away from home and Houston look to earn their fifth victory of the season away from BBVA Stadium later today.
DALY SCORES BACK-TO-BACK BRACES: Rachel Daly has scored four goals in her last two outings for the Dash and enters today's match with nine goals this season. The goals have been crucial in Houston's push for the postseason and the team is 4-1-2 when Daly has found the back of the net since Aug. 29. Daly will have three opportunities to match and surpass her regular season record of 10 goals set in 2018. Daly has found the back of the net twice against Kansas City NWSL in 2021, first in the 3-1 victory on April 26 in the NWSL Challenge Cup and her last goal against Kansas City was in the 2-2 draw on May 23.
KANSAS CITY LOOKS TO FINISH STRONG: Kansas City NWSL enters today's match at the bottom of the league table with a 2-12-6 record and a -20 goal difference. Kansas City looks to build on a recent unbeaten run at home and enter the game with a 2-0-3 record at Legends Field with victories over Racing Louisville and the second place OL Reign. Kansas City held the first place Portland Thorns to a scoreless draw in their last outing at Legends Field on Oct. 10. Adrianna Franch has played a large role in keeping Kansas City competitive since joining the team in a trade on Aug. 16. The shot stopper has conceded one goal in three outings at Legends Field for Kansas City this season.
• Discuss this story on the National Women's Soccer League message board...
National Women's Soccer League Stories from October 13, 2021
- Matchday Preview: Red Stars vs Pride - Chicago Red Stars
- Three Chicago Red Stars Join United States Women's National Team for Matches against Korea Republic - Chicago Red Stars
- Chicago Red Stars Announce the 2021 #SHEINSPIRESME Winners - Chicago Red Stars
- Orlando Pride Drop 1-0 Decision at Chicago - Orlando Pride
- Houston Dash Fall 3-0 to Kansas City NWSL - Houston Dash
- NC Courage Fall Short of the Washington Spirit, 2-1 - North Carolina Courage
- Spirit Defeat Courage 2-1 to Catapult into Third Place - Washington Spirit
- Houston Dash Forward Rachel Daly Named NWSL Player of the Week - Houston Dash
- Spirit Travel to North Carolina to Complete Postponed Match - Washington Spirit
- Three Houston Dash Players Named to USWNT Roster for October Friendlies - Houston Dash
- O'Hara, Sonnett, Sullivan Named to October USWNT Friendlies - Washington Spirit
- Adrianna Franch Named to Uswnt Biosteel Training Camp Roster for October Matches - Kansas City Current
- Racing's Fox Earns Return USWNT Call Up - Racing Louisville FC
- Thorns FC Issues Statement on Relocation of NWSL Championship Game - Portland Thorns FC
- Lavelle and Rapinoe Called up to United States National Team for October Matches - OL Reign
- NWSL Championship Moves to Louisville - Racing Louisville FC
- Joint Statement from the NWSL & NWSLPA - NWSL
- Houston Dash travel to Legends Field to face Kansas City NWSL - Houston Dash
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Houston Dash Stories
- Seven Dash Players Close the Year with National Team Duty
- Michelle Alozie Finds Success on the Pitch and in the Laboratory
- Forward Michelle Alozie Called up to Nigerian Women's National Team Camp
- Houston Dash Announce 2021 Team Awards
- Defender Abby Dahlkemper Joins San Diego FC