Hounds Win at Home, Defeat Loudoun, 1-0
PITTSBURGH - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC (12-4-8) defeated Loudoun United FC (5-12-5), 1-0, Friday night at Highmark Stadium.
Steevan Dos Santos scored the lone goal of the evening in the 5th minute. Goalkeeper Kyle Morton finished the night with two saves and the clean sheet for the Hounds.
The Black and Gold wasted no time getting on the scoreboard on Friday night. Steevan Dos Santos struck gold in the 5th minute of the match to give his club a 1-0 advantage.
Just three minutes later, Kevin Kerr launched a shot from outside the 18-yard box high and left of the cage.
Morton came up with a big save in the 27th minute, shutting down a Loudoun shot from inside the penalty area. The stop was Morton's lone save of the first half.
Kenardo Forbes nearly extended the lead in the 40th minute, but his blast nicked off the left post.
Neither side was able to get on the board in the final five minutes of the opening period, and the Hounds carried a 1-0 lead into the break.
Loudoun found a bit of offensive rhythm in the opening minutes of the second half.
A right-footed attempt from Andrew Lubahn trickled just wide of the cage in the 51st minute.
Moments later, a shot from Loudoun's Connor Presley was denied by Morton.
Dos Santos nearly got the Hounds back on the scoreboard in the 69th minute, but the striker sent his blast just over the crossbar.
The Hounds fought off a number of Loudoun opportunities in the match's final minutes, but walked out of the night with a 1-0 win.
Hound of the Match
The tally from Steevan Dos Santos was all the Hounds needed to grab a win on Friday. The goal marked Dos Santos' seventh tally of the season.
Stat of the Game: 21
With the win, the Hounds extended their regular season unbeaten streak at home to 21 games. The Black and Gold are 12-0-9 in regular season games at Highmark Stadium since July 21, 2018.
Riverhounds SC will head north next weekend, taking on Ottawa Fury FC at 7 p.m. on Friday at TD Place Stadium. Ottawa and Pittsburgh played to a 2-2 draw earlier this season.
Riverhounds SC - Kyle Morton - Ryan James, Tobi Adewole, Joe Greenspan, Jordan Dover - Kenardo Forbes, Robbie Mertz - Anthony Velarde (Sammy Kahsai 62'), Kevin Kerr (Mouhamed Dabo 79') - Steevan Dos Santos, Neco Brett
Subs not used: Austin Pack, Mark Forrest, Noah Franke, Dani Rovira, Christian Volesky
Loudoun United FC - Earl Edwards Jr. - Robert Dambot, Collin Verfurth, Harri Hawkins, Connor Presley - Nelson Martinez (Moses Nyeman 60'), Orlando Sinclair - Griffin Yow (Andrew Lubahn 45'), Carlos Alvarez (Christian Sorto 70'), Antonio Bustamante - Elvis Amoh
Subs not used: Calle Brown, Jacob Greene, Kyle Murphy, Shane Weidt
PIT - Steevan Dos Santos 5' (Neco Brett)
LDN - Nelson Martinez 53' (caution)
LDN - Elvis Amoh 68' (caution)
PIT - Jordan Dover 77' (caution)
Head coach Bob Lilley
On his initial reaction to Friday's match...
"I don't think we respected the moment. It was a home game, great crowd for a Friday night. We didn't pass the ball, we didn't defend well as a team. We had guys playing all on different pages."
On a young Loudoun team's play...
"We allowed the game to get stretched. That's on us. That wasn't by design. We tied a game against Swope Park early in the year where the game just became a track meet. We tied the game against Bethlehem Steel early in the year when we had the lead at one point, but the game became a track meet. We could've lost points tonight, we were fortunate that we just defended well enough."
On the upcoming stretch of games...
"I'm happy to get the three points as tight as it is. Our schedule stiffens significantly next week going into Ottawa. We have a lot of work to do."
Forward Steevan Dos Santos
On the feed from Neco...
"That was a good ball from Neco. I think our connection is getting better and better every game. He saw me make the movement and it was a good pass I just had to keep the ball in the line."
On if he thought he was offside...
"I thought I was offside because I was like this is too good to be true. But I checked the alignment and he didn't put the flag up and I was happy."
On service into the box...
"They have two bigs in the back as well. The way they were defending was tough for us, and the crosses weren't good today but he just keeps working on the crosses and we get better."
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from August 23, 2019
- Hounds Win at Home, Defeat Loudoun, 1-0 - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Loudoun United Fall to the Pittsburgh Riverhounds 1-0 on the Road - Loudoun United FC
- Three Things to Know: Nashville SC vs. Charleston Battery - Nashville SC
- Switchbacks FC Sign Pair of Colorado Rapids Homegrowns on Loan - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- Energy FC Back Home Saturday to Take on Austin Bold FC - OKC Energy FC
- Orange County SC Look to Dethrone Real Monarchs - Orange County SC
- Match Preview: Legion FC at Bethlehem Steel FC - Sunday, August 25 - Birmingham Legion FC
- Copa Tejas Action at H-E-B Park as RGV FC and El Paso Locomotive FC Square Off - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- Real Monarchs SLC Wraps Two-Game Road Stretch against Orange County SC - Real Monarchs SLC
- Athletic Looks to Continue Momentum against ATLUTD2 - Hartford Athletic
- Memphis 901 FC Heads to Tampa Bay Tomorrow Night - Memphis 901 FC
- San Antonio FC Hosts Expansion Side New Mexico United this Saturday - San Antonio FC
- Panamanian National Team Member Cristian Martinez Loaned to Lights FC - Las Vegas Lights FC
- Republic FC Defender Shannon Gomez Undergoes Successful Surgery on Right Knee - Sacramento Republic FC
- Match Preview | Ottawa Fury FC vs Saint Louis FC | Aper=C3=A7u - Ottawa Fury FC
- Match Preview: ATL UTD 2 vs Hartford Athletic - Atlanta United 2
- Match Preview: #TBRvMEM - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- North Carolina FC Hopes to Keep Hot Streak Going at Louisville City FC on Saturday - North Carolina FC
- Preview: Nashville SC Looking to Rebound against Charleston Battery on Saturday Night - Nashville SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC Stories
- Hounds Fall to Louisville in Conference Quarterfinals
- Playoffs Preview: Riverhounds SC at Louisville City FC
- Riverhounds SC Goalkeeper Danny Vitiello Wins Golden Glove Award
- Hounds Open Playoffs at Louisville City FC, Match to be Televised on 22 the Point
- Hounds Close out Regular Season with Win against Philadelphia