Match Preview: #TBRvMEM
Tampa Bay Rowdies vs. Memphis 901 FC
Saturday, August 24, 7:30 p.m. ET
Al Lang Stadium, St. Petersburg, Fla.
Follow us for live updates on Twitter at @RowdiesGameday
Tickets for Saturday's match are available by calling (727) 222-2000. Gates will open at 6:30 p.m., 60 minutes before kickoff.
All fans will receive a Georgi Hristov bobblehead while supplies last.
How to Watch
The match will be broadcast online on ESPN+.
Tampa Bay: 13-4-7 (W-L-T), 3rd place; 6-2-4 at home
Memphis: 4-12-7 (W-L-T), 16th place; 2-6-4 on road
These teams haven't met since the opening day of the regular season on March 9. The Rowdies were given a tough assignment as the visitors for Memphis' inaugural match, but Juan Tejada drew an early penalty and Sebastian Guenzatti converted it in the fourth minute. Tampa Bay held on to win 1-0 and spoil the party.
The Tampa Bay Rowdies return home following a thumping at the hands of North Carolina FC on Wednesday night in Cary. The Rowdies leveled the score in the 32nd minute but then conceded three goals in the second half to see the game slip away. A late Juan Tejada consolation goal narrowed the margin of defeat.
That result saw the Rowdies slip one spot to third place in the USL Championship's Eastern Conference, four points of New York with a game in hand over the Red Bulls. Third place is the lowest the Rowdies have been since May 8 heading into a match against Nashville SC.
Tampa Bay finds itself in a bit of a summer slump at the moment. After losing once in the first 20 games of the season, the Rowdies have now lost three of their last four. The Rowdies were swept in the season series against North Carolina, losing both matches by a combined score of 7-3.
Coming off a bye week, Rowdies Head Coach Neill Collins made five changes to his lineup that had lost to Birmingham in its last match. Jaime Siaj made his first start of the season, while Mohamed Kone, Andrew Tinari, Dom Oduro and Juan Tejada were all restored to the starting lineup.
Tampa Bay's opener against North Carolina was scored by Sebastian Guenzatti, his 13th goal of the season. It was his first goal since July 20 against Saint Louis FC. He is fourth in the Championship Golden Boot race behind Phoenix's Solomon Asante (18), Nashville's Daniel Rios (17) and New Mexico's Kevaughn Frater (14).
Juan Tejada also ended a scoring slump Wednesday night, nodding home a header on a corner kick in the 90th minute. It was his first goal since July 7 at Swope Park. He is second on the team in scoring with eight goals.
Among the players that has recently been sidelined by injury is goalkeeper John McCarthy, who strained a hamstring late in a 4-1 win over Saint Louis FC on July 20. McCarthy led the league in clean sheets at the time of his injury with nine but has missed four matches since then.
QUESTIONABLE - Shawn Barry (leg)
QUESTIONABLE - Yann Ekra (leg)
QUESTIONABLE - John McCarthy (leg)
QUESTIONABLE - Zach Steinberger (leg)
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from August 23, 2019
- Hounds Win at Home, Defeat Loudoun, 1-0 - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Loudoun United Fall to the Pittsburgh Riverhounds 1-0 on the Road - Loudoun United FC
- Three Things to Know: Nashville SC vs. Charleston Battery - Nashville SC
- Switchbacks FC Sign Pair of Colorado Rapids Homegrowns on Loan - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- Energy FC Back Home Saturday to Take on Austin Bold FC - OKC Energy FC
- Orange County SC Look to Dethrone Real Monarchs - Orange County SC
- Match Preview: Legion FC at Bethlehem Steel FC - Sunday, August 25 - Birmingham Legion FC
- Copa Tejas Action at H-E-B Park as RGV FC and El Paso Locomotive FC Square Off - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- Real Monarchs SLC Wraps Two-Game Road Stretch against Orange County SC - Real Monarchs SLC
- Athletic Looks to Continue Momentum against ATLUTD2 - Hartford Athletic
- Memphis 901 FC Heads to Tampa Bay Tomorrow Night - Memphis 901 FC
- San Antonio FC Hosts Expansion Side New Mexico United this Saturday - San Antonio FC
- Panamanian National Team Member Cristian Martinez Loaned to Lights FC - Las Vegas Lights FC
- Republic FC Defender Shannon Gomez Undergoes Successful Surgery on Right Knee - Sacramento Republic FC
- Match Preview | Ottawa Fury FC vs Saint Louis FC | Aper=C3=A7u - Ottawa Fury FC
- Match Preview: ATL UTD 2 vs Hartford Athletic - Atlanta United 2
- Match Preview: #TBRvMEM - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- North Carolina FC Hopes to Keep Hot Streak Going at Louisville City FC on Saturday - North Carolina FC
- Preview: Nashville SC Looking to Rebound against Charleston Battery on Saturday Night - Nashville SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.