Hounds Great Rob Vincent Joins Academy Staff
PITTSBURGH - A familiar face will be returning to Pittsburgh to help grow the sport of soccer in Riverhounds SC legend Rob Vincent. The club has announced Vincent will join the Academy staff as a coach for the upcoming competitive year.
Vincent, who ranks third all-time in goals scored in club history, announced his retirement from professional soccer earlier this week after a five-year career and more than 100 total appearances with the Hounds and MLS side D.C. United from 2013-17.
Now returning back to Pittsburgh as a full-time coach, Vincent is a major addition to a rising Academy entering its second competitive season in the ECNL. He is expected to help on the Boys side primarily, having a keynote role in both the youngest and oldest stages of the Development Academy (RDA).
"When the opportunity to come back to Pittsburgh came up, it was a no-brainer for me," Vincent said. "I'm excited to be back. I wish my playing career could have gone on a little bit longer, but I knew I would always end up in Pittsburgh - one way or the other.
"Looking at this Academy and it's continued growth - it's never stayed still. Seeing their commitment to providing the best platform they can to help players in western Pennsylvania and beyond, I'm hugely excited to be a part of that. For me, going from Charleston to playing in MLS, I was also very fortunate to be in some great academies growing up in England under great coaches that made me an even better player and that's what I want to be able to pass down to the players here."
The Liverpool, England native's experience in academy soccer extends well back to his playing days as a youth across the pond at the Everton Youth Academy, while his coaching career began as a student at his alma mater University of Charleston.
Competing collegiately for the Golden Eagles from 2009-13, Vincent starred on the pitch, captaining the club his senior year and earning All-American status in each of his four years at Charleston. His contributions on the field were matched off it as well, as Vincent served as a volunteer coach in his time away from competition.
Signing his first professional contract with the Hounds in 2013, the midfielder worked with the Academy side as an individual player coach and assistant coach on the both the girls and boys sides. As is common with first team players in the Academy system, Vincent was consistently integrated into sessions with the Technical Training Academy, summer camps, and the RDA. Over time, as a result of his acumen, work ethic, and ability to relate to young players, his workload expanded considerably, becoming one of the most trusted and well-liked members of the staff.
After scoring 29 goals in only three seasons in Pittsburgh, Vincent made the move to the Capital City and MLS in 2016. Injury would ultimately cut his stint short to two seasons with D.C. United, but he remained active in the community, helping the club's volunteer efforts ranging from coaching to playing appearances.
Most recently, while with United, Vincent furthered his coaching prospects by obtaining his USSF 'B' coaching license.
"Robbie's return to Pittsburgh, and to our organization, is a testament to the city, the fans, our staff, and most notably, our youth players," Sporting Director Jason Kutney said. "While it is difficult to step away from a playing career, Robbie comes back to a club he helped inspire, where he got his start, and he will now focus upon delivering that inspiration to the next generation of Riverhounds looking to get their own start in the game. I cannot think of a better person to take on such a prominent role within our academy."
For more information on the Riverhounds SC Academy, visit Riverhounds.com.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from March 13, 2018
- Roughnecks Reveal Kits and Jersey Sponsor - Tulsa Roughnecks FC
- Bethlehem Steel FC Unveil 2018 Primary Jersey - Bethlehem Steel FC
- LA Galaxy II Sign Defender John Requejo - LA Galaxy II
- What's New at North Carolina Football Club for 2018 - North Carolina FC
- STLFC Renews Local TV Broadcast Partnership with KPLR 11 - Saint Louis FC
- Real Monarchs SLC Move March 31 USL Home Opener to Rio Tinto Stadium - Real Monarchs SLC
- Opening Weekend Brings Marquee Matchups Across League - USL
- Lights FC to Unveil Away Kit, Official Roster at Wednesday Evening's Season Kickoff Party - Las Vegas Lights FC
- Charleston Battery & Blackbaud Continue Philanthropic Partnership - Charleston Battery
- FC St. Pauli Youth Product Nico Matern Signs with Indy Eleven - Indy Eleven
- Hounds Great Rob Vincent Joins Academy Staff - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Roughnecks to Host Live Pop & Vaud Show and Kit Reveal Event Tonight - Tulsa Roughnecks FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC Stories
- Preview: Riverhounds SC at Swope Park Rangers
- Rich Hackenberg Joins Riverhounds Academy Staff
- Hounds Drop Opener to Rowdies, 2-0
- Preview: Riverhounds SC at Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Club Receives Proclamation for 'Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC Day' in City of Pittsburgh